Tune up expectation

No. The pipes aren't drawing any air that will make an effect in the realm of decel popping. The popping and farting originates well before the final pipes come into play. The colder air intake, on the front side, will of course make a power increase difference. I'm about 600 ASL. I was running the same tune as you mention for quite some time. Worked great! And I don't run TORs. I have a "silencer upgrade" and a TuneBoy and I wouldN'T trade the works for immortality :D :D

I just loaded 20050_3Decel, with a tweak or two. I've not test ridden yet, it's gotten dark and the Trick or Treaters are banging at the door. We'll see in a week whether there is a MPG drop.

As for larger pipes, I've an opinion that will surely get loud rebuttal: The single most restrictive aspect of the stock exhaust is the manifold prior to the cat box. Then the cat box, and then maybe OEM exhaust muffs though the combined outlet of the most restrictive silencers, ie., my standard pipes, is larger than the three into one exhaust maifold restriction. Granted that with larger combined final gas outlet, with TORs, there is a volume increase and a resultant speed increase but until someone can demonstrate an appreciable benefit I'm sticking with my theory. Frankly, NASCAR could institute a dBZ noise max and THEN I might go to the races. Until then I watch the races on TV. Headers are the only answer but they don't have to give you a head ache.

I have another theory about under tanks filters, but there's already enough controversy for one post.

Last edited:
Rocky Racoon......

As for larger pipes, I've an opinion that will surely get loud rebuttal: The single most restrictive aspect of the stock exhaust is the manifold prior to the cat box. Then the cat .

Rocky, wake up Rocky............I discussed that in great detail in Cane Corso's thread about his dream of a header system. Of course I exploded that dream and I never post about tunes and such drivel because my bike is fine as it is and it gets over 40mpg consistently. I'd get a Tuneperson just for the speedo correction, but that's all. If I wanted to go appreciably faster, I'd go by an MV Agusta and no matter what you did to your bike even blown and NOS, I'd still smoke ya like a cheap cigar. getting there in comfort at a reasonable pace is what I'm all about anyway.

Back to the task at hand. Yes, the (header, excuse me, fabricated exhaust manifold) is the most restrictive not only size but in it's inability to efficiently scavenge spent exhaust pulses. While your "fur ball" does nothing to enhance the process either, it's all the way in the back that really screws what exhaust gas does make it out of the exhaust ports. I stated in that thread that there are more baffles in those pipes than there are Arabs in Dearborn and that's a fact Jack, I mean Rocky.

When you guys fiddle with your AF ratio's or add you K&N pea gravel excluder's or any other mods, you increase the through gas flow, that is the amount of air passing down the intake throats and out through the aesthetically pleasing but woefully inefficient manifold and your mileage goes right down the toilet while you power don't increase proportionally because of the inefficiency of the object attached to the exhaust ports.

The second thing I'd do after getting a Tuneperson is get rid of the cheap stainless triad above your right foot and replace it with a set of headers and at least a good tunable for noise set of mufflers. That is in no way a plug for Travelguy, but that's the fact of the matter. That's where your mileage goes and your efficiency goes.

You could also forget all the natural aspiration mods and turbocharge or parasitic supercharge. The you could dump the exhaust in a length of tubing you got from Muffler man.

I read all the posts about tunes and such and I find them amusing. You have to begin where the exhaust begins. You can deliver all the fuel you want to but if you can't get rid of the spent gases, it's all for naught.

Last week I installed a tune up in my 05 that was to address several issues. Decel pop, speedo error, secondary throttle plates etc. The bike runs like a scalded cat if desired, the decel pop (used to start at 2200 RPM) is OK down to 1300 RPM where it pops loud and long as it did before (which means that it still needs richened up), the speedo is corrected.

SOOOO what the problem? I went for a 200 mile ride and found my fuel mileage had dropped from 36 MPG to 29.6 MPG. Now before any one goes nuts and tells me that I can't have my cake and eat it too...the question is, when the bike is riden at slow speeds, short shifted, no right wrist antics, in other words riden like a little old lady going to church on Sunday...what should the mileage have dropped too? (PS the entire route was run on secondary roads no faster than 55 MPH) Is this what I should have been expected? The additional perfomance is great but...maybe I should have explored another avenue? I frankly did not consider the mileage would drop that far provided the bike was riden the safe and sane method.

I should also mention that I broke a cardinal rule and made two changes at the same time that could have effected the mileage issue of the bike. The second change was the K&N under the tank update. Could this mod be restricting air flow?

Any thoughts? (Go ahead Flip and let me have it:D) SB.

The adjustments you made to the tune may explain your loss of mpg but keep in mind that by adjusting the speedo error by 7% you will also adjust the near perfect stock odometer setting by 7%, out of wack. I confirmed this when I corrected my speedo with the help of my Tuneboy. Prior to the adjustment my odometer was the most accurate of any vehicle I have owned being less than .05% wrong when I did a measured 10 mile odometer test. After making the speedo correction I did the same odometer test over the same measure 10 mile course and discovered that my odometer was now 6.5% out of wack, which was the percentage that I used to correct my R3’s speedo. Assuming that you corrected your speedo by 7% and if you went 200 miles measured by your now out of wack R3's odometer, you actually went 214 miles. 14 miles may not sound like a lot but it might explain where a couple of those mpg went, which was actually nowhere.

Last edited:
Good observation. I will run a 10 mile check and see what the result turns out to be. If I put the 6.5% correction back onto the 29.6 MPG I am now getting, it corrects back upward to 31.5 MPG which would be about what several other owners have stated they get with these types of tune ups. I still think there is room for improvement as I am not convinced that the changes in the tune up used should have been responsible for the loss that I saw. Thanks SB..

Diagnostic Tool

People

Hello there, , I've been reading a lot about the problems regarding tuning of the Rocket III.
So far I have not read any comments about purchasing the Triumph Diagnostic Tool.

I have the workshop manual for my bike (2006 Rocket 3 Classic) with all the necessary 'tune codes' but not the Tool. I understand that you also need a password to activate this TOOL (supplied by Triumph)?
My bike is starting to show signs of over revving after I changed the throttle cable (no its not the cable route or sticking).

I hear a lot about Tune Boy but what about this Tool? Is it available? Is it cheaper than Tune Boy (you don't need a Laptop). And most important does it do the trick?

I am surprised we don't have a thread answering these questions.....???:eek:

milage

i dont know if this helps
i have an 05 rocket 3 classic w/tor's and cat by pass and factory tune
my average is about 33mpg ,25 around town.
my best on long run 65 to 70 mph is 38 mpg
my worst when i decide to play hard is 21 to 23 mpg

People

Hello there, , I've been reading a lot about the problems regarding tuning of the Rocket III.
So far I have not read any comments about purchasing the Triumph Diagnostic Tool.

I have the workshop manual for my bike (2006 Rocket 3 Classic) with all the necessary 'tune codes' but not the Tool. I understand that you also need a password to activate this TOOL (supplied by Triumph)?
My bike is starting to show signs of over revving after I changed the throttle cable (no its not the cable route or sticking).

I hear a lot about Tune Boy but what about this Tool? Is it available? Is it cheaper than Tune Boy (you don't need a Laptop). And most important does it do the trick?

I am surprised we don't have a thread answering these questions.....???:eek:

You have to be a dealer to get the tool activated and the lastest software loaded. I would imagine it is pretty expensive. I have not heard of anyone outside a dealer (other than the Tuneboy developer) having one. Tuneboy does pretty much the same thing, but you do need a laptop or desktop computer near your bike. Plus with the tool I would think you are limited to just the stock Triumph tunes.

Back