Trying to resurrect an accident damaged 2004 R3

Jack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Rocket 3
I recently purchased an accident damaged 2004 Rocket 3.
The battery had been disconnected. I charged it up and I was expecting some indication of life upon turning the key. Sadly everything was dead. My first thought was that perhaps something needed resetting, because the battery had been disconnected?
It's worth mentioning that just about every electrical gadget was damaged. Speedo, Tach, front indicators, 1 headlight, clutch perch, and on the LH side there was an electrical component that mounts just below the fwd. throttle body that had clearly been broken off. (The piece shown in the picture, any idea what its called?)
Would I be correct in assuming that a break in any instrument or sensor would render the entire system powerless?
I am slowly locating parts but it would be nice to know just why there is no power getting anywhere.
Thanks,
Jack.

Hello Jack and welcome from Virginia. It sounds like you have your hands full and I hope you succeed. Many others here are smarter on what you ask. Your picture did not come through though. Please give it another go.

Also, please go to the Introduce yourself thread and let us know about your motorcycle past. My first guess is you know your way around a spanner...

This is the electrical component that appears to have broken off during the accident. All that remains are the 2 phillips head screws.
When I know what it is I can go looking.

IMG_0457.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sonny,
I know the term, There's a stepper motor in my 5l injected TVR.
That should be easy to replace.

Give us a few more pictures of the over all mishap machine if you don't mind.

These pictures were from the auction house that was selling the bike. The RH side is unmarked. The tank is a right off. The tach and speedo housings aren't as bad as they look. The lenses are broken and the internal housings are cracked but I'm hoping that being solid state they may have survived the impact. I had hoped that power would be getting to something. The horn perhaps as it's still intact. Is the circuitry reliant on everything being connected.

damaged R3.PNG
R3 5.PNG
R3 8.PNG
R3 9.PNG
R3 10.PNG
R3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks IDK but electrickery is not my strong point.
Is my lack of power possibly just a single fault or does everything have to be functioning.
For instance could I expect to start the bike without a functioning tach and speedo?

As it is basically first year production, I do not think the speedo/tach have to be working, in order to get it running. I'd be very careful about trying to hook things up, until you have a good volt meter, test light, and some wiring diagrams. Could just be simply a bad ground. But if something is shorted, wired wrong, etc. it could be very bad. Frying the ECU could probably cost more than you paid for the whole bike. Take your time. Depending on what you paid, you may have a very good deal there. Lot's of help on this forum, and nobody will beat you up, for asking questions. That's how we all learn. Easy peezee, nice and easy. ;)

Back