Trouble shifting into 2nd

Piggr:

I agree. I've had zero problems with the R3 other than the other night when it developed an idle lope. I believe it was a little too hot. I was riding in heavy traffic stoplight to stoplight and it started loping. I needed a cool soda anyway so I pulled into a Burgular King and got a Coke. Sat down and sipped it. When I went back out to the bike and started it, the lope was gone.

I've also had zero problems with my T100 and it works pretty hard pulling the sidecar around all the time.

I think I remember someone else having a similar problem where they couldn't shift thier Rocket's tranny, and if I remember correctly it turned out to be a loose shift fork on a shift shaft that was the culprit. There is a bolt that locks the fork into place and the bolt backed out for whatever reason. I don't know if this is what has happened to your bike but it sounds somewhat similar. I really haven't heard of this happening very often (you can search through our forums here to see), I believe BigErn's bike had a similar problem but the root cause of his problem was that he dropped his bike and bent the shifter shaft that enters through the side of the engine case.

Hopefully the guys at your dealer will get it sorted out. Its unfortunate that it had to happen, I guess the true mark of a good manufacturer is what kind of service they give you when a problem arises. I would almost have to believe that those bolts securing the shift forks would be on the list of quality control checks to make sure they are torqued correctly, but you never know when a piece of metal has some sort of internal flaw that rears its ugly head later down the road.

I work for Nissan, which has a reputation along with Toyota and Honda for being a quality car company, and we have problems like these from time to time. Nothing is perfect, that's why there are warranties. If you want to see bad build quality.... check out the parts return bin at any Hyundai dealership, there will be at least 10 junk trannys added to it every week along with heads and blocks and just about everything else. In comparison Triumph is a shining star...

I may be lucky but other than some squeaky front rotors (which cured itself) I haven't had a lick of trouble with my Rocket in 2 1/2 years of ownership...

Hey 919, I sometimes get a chance to visit this place if only to see what happens next and you have certainly made your presence known.Welcome, I haven't had the chance to do that and want to do that here. As others have mentioned it basically boils down to your dealer and how he handles your problems. I'm lucky in having an excellent mechanic and support team with my dealer in town here. Others don't but in days past just finding the parts to do it yourself was the big challenge. Now it has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and I'm at 18000 after 11 months and I have had some things that required looking after.All things were covered and taken care of. As in todays sophisticated engineering, complicated systems require looking after but not anywhere near in days past. I feel this machine has exceptional build quality and designed to take punishment like nothing I have had before. Just ride prep it and run the dog stuff out of it and don't sweat the stuff you have no control over.

I do Ido

I have no problem going to first my problem is also going into 2nd. The higher the RPM's the harder it is to go in and I have 2000 miles on mine. I can't count how many times i have hit nutral trying to go to 2nd and I shift with athority too.

hey 919rider

Are you sure the lemon law applies to motorcycles as well as cars/trucks? I looked into the lemon law (here in Florida) during the first year of my rocket ownership, and found that it did not apply with motorcycles. I am happy for you if your state does. Bob

Are you sure the lemon law applies to motorcycles as well as cars/trucks? I looked into the lemon law (here in Florida) during the first year of my rocket ownership, and found that it did not apply with motorcycles. I am happy for you if your state does. Bob

I am taking the dealer's word for it at this point regarding California State Lemon Law rules. I have not researched it in depth to this point. I am very HOPEFUL that I do not have to cross the Lemon Law line.

Thanks.

Not going there

With every thing else I like about the bike I can handle a miss shift to second now and then. If is just more of an inconvenience, especially when you miss second racing a young punk on a ****** rocket. Oh well life is still good and I love my Rocket. :flame:

Hang in there..If they get It right It will be better than new. It seems that most the problems owners have had are caused by human error at assembly.Mine Is one of the first 200 into the states and I have had absolutely no problems..not even the idle problem or poping with aftermarket exhuast..Most dealers service sucks.But If you get a good one they seem to fix most problems successfully..Good luck Crazy Jack

Mine, vintage Oct. '04, is one of the first 10 into Switzerland. I have had no problem with it, except for that of the 2nd gear popping out under acceleration. Once at around 6'000 miles and the second time at... 12'000 miles :confused:. Both times, the bike was fixed under warranty. The second repair involved a change in the assembly, further to contacts with the (non-plussed) importer, versus just the replacement of whatever metallic bit had gone south on me. I told those tales on this forum.

Since then, the bike has been as dependable as a mule. It now has close to 22'000 miles on it.

My advice is: Hang on to it. Best. Jamie

Still no Bike...

Good news : Triumph gave the green light regarding covering everything under warranty.

Bad news : The main part I need is on back order, meaning nobody has any idea when the part will become available. Might be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks just to get the part.

After we get the part in, it's 8 to 12 hours labor to do the repair!

I am loving the Rocket III so far....

Back