Triumph tank bib for my tourer

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi guys. I bought the Triumph tank bib for my 15 R3T. I was looking at the instructions, and they refer to the need for the service manual to describe how to prop up the fuel tank with a certain tool or something.
Any one here install this bib on their own? I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. I don't have the manual. Or is their an easier shortcut?
I may ask my dealer to do it if he won't charge extra. Removing the seat and the chrome nacelle is easy enough. I'm just not sure about the tank.
Thanks for any help, Eric

The tank has a prop rod is clipped to the top rail on the right side under the tank. The bearclaw and the chrome instrument nacelle, then 2 bolts at the front of the tank removed. The tank can then be hinged up and the prop rod placed to hold it up

Hi guys. I bought the Triumph tank bib for my 15 R3T. I was looking at the instructions, and they refer to the need for the service manual to describe how to prop up the fuel tank with a certain tool or something.
Any one here install this bib on their own? I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. I don't have the manual. Or is their an easier shortcut?
I may ask my dealer to do it if he won't charge extra. Removing the seat and the chrome nacelle is easy enough. I'm just not sure about the tank.
Thanks for any help, Eric
+1

I did this a few weeks ago. It is not a big deal at all. Worst-case someone can hold it up for you. Doesn't take long to get those strips on to fasten the thing.

Thanks for the helpful responses. When I get the time, I'll give it a shot. I just brought her in for the 500 mile check. I love this bike!

If @1olbull was in here he would tell you to look at your users manual on how to raise the tank and where the prop rod is stashed. Someone else may tell you to just stick an oil bottle under it. ;)

When you take off the instrument cluster and before you put it back on you may want put a few pieces of tape on the back side of the gasket to hold it in place when replacing the instrument cluster.

bob

upload_2017-4-10_20-45-33.png

upload_2017-4-10_20-43-20.png

Bob, thanks a bunch for posting those images. That's very helpful.

Not a problem.

If you go to user idk he has a link to the service manual in his signature line. You can find it under the info tab at the link. It is for older bikes but for the most part works just fine for the newer ones.

bob

Wait, you mean a leather tank bib that goes on top of it to dress it up?

I don't see any reason to lift the tank for that. Of course I haven't seen how the Triumph bib is done, but the one I got from Mustang is held down by the screws that hold down the instrument panel, and there's an elastic strap that goes around the tank hinge to hold the rear part down.

Back