tattoo001

.020 Over
Ride
roadster 2014
gday guys, i tracked down the source of my oil leak. after a good degrease etc it doesnt appear to be coming from any gaskets.... but i dont know if there is part of a gasket or seal under this bolt or even how to get to it? im thinking that ill try to use an extension with the tank up and plastics off around the top of the forks and radiator, otherwise im guessing itll be a radiator out job? can this just be retightened and sealed with some hightemp sealant.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Attachments

• 481024_1.jpg
    481024_1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 34
the oil is literally leaking from just under the head of the bolt... i cant as yet get to it to even check if its tight???

You can undo the 2 top rad fixings (blue), loosen the bottom left (as you face the rad) one (yellow) and the rad can be hinged forward a little while leaving all coolant pipes in place.
But best remove that bottom bolt (yellow) and slide the rad to the left so it comes off the right side fixing/mount... (green) and you will have the access to tighten that bolt with an extension and universal joint.
All with pipework and coolant still in place.

20220326_071354.jpg

And remove the chrome guards off rad too for optimum space. No need to go near tank or the headstock plastics.

Now be mindful that this a head bolt (albeit not a real head bolt like bolts 1-8) but nonetheless it has a torque and tightening sequence;

20220326_071410.jpg

You can undo the 2 top rad fixings (blue), loosen the bottom left (as you face the rad) one (yellow) and the rad can be hinged forward a little while leaving all coolant pipes in place.
But best remove that bottom bolt (yellow) and slide the rad to the left so it comes off the right side fixing/mount... (green) and you will have the access to tighten that bolt with an extension and universal joint.
All with pipework and coolant still in place.

20220326_071354.jpg

And remove the chrome guards off rad too for optimum space. No need to go near tank or the headstock plastics.

Now be mindful that this a head bolt (albeit not a real head bolt like bolts 1-8) but nonetheless it has a torque and tightening sequence;

20220326_071410.jpg
Thanks a lot. I will try tomorrow 👍

and if you don't have an o-ring, then a little dab (Imperial dab, not a metric dab) of gasket goo around the threads of the bolt - only near the bolt head - not the full length, will also stop the leak and get you out of trouble.

Remember, a little dab'll do ya.

and if you don't have an o-ring, then a little dab (Imperial dab, not a metric dab) of gasket goo around the threads of the bolt - only near the bolt head - not the full length, will also stop the leak and get you out of trouble.

Remember, a little dab'll do ya.
I only have metric gasket goo 🤣... but yeah I think ill do that as I could be waiting months to track down the oring these days 👍

Back