transmission problem update

I had 42,000 +miles on my 13' with no transmission problems using the heel shifter regularly. My left foot is all fused together so I have to use the heel shifter.Perhaps this was a Monday or Friday build day issue.

I had 42,000 +miles on my 13' with no transmission problems using the heel shifter regularly. My left foot is all fused together so I have to use the heel shifter.Perhaps this was a Monday or Friday build day issue.

doesn't make me feel better knowing the bike I bought could have been put together on a monday or friday I still think poor quality parts from suppliers is what cause most of the problems.

It used to be machinery was vastly overbuilt, almost because there wasn't any practical means to micromanage design, but there was also a certain pride taken in what was built. Somewhere in the 70's some yutz decided torque ratings were the way to go. And thereafter you got engines, transmissions and every manner of things that were just barely up to the job. No overhead was contemplated....of course generous overhead is what absorbs shock loads, and creates long term dependability. This design ethic permeates everything because building close to theoretical ratings is cheaper than just building it as strong as you can make it. Suppliers may be supplying inferior goods, but the designs they are given are crippled from the drawing board. We seem to get mostly reliable bikes, but occasionally we get a dud.

doesn't make me feel better knowing the bike I bought could have been put together on a monday or friday I still think poor quality parts from suppliers is what cause most of the problems.
99.9 % of the time the damage is caused by the operators we havnt seen any poor quality parts in the Rockets but it only takes 1 mistake to frick up a transmission on any of the big powerful bikes so look to perfect your shifting and you wont have problems

It used to be machinery was vastly overbuilt, almost because there wasn't any practical means to micromanage design, but there was also a certain pride taken in what was built. Somewhere in the 70's some yutz decided torque ratings were the way to go. And thereafter you got engines, transmissions and every manner of things that were just barely up to the job. No overhead was contemplated....of course generous overhead is what absorbs shock loads, and creates long term dependability. This design ethic permeates everything because building close to theoretical ratings is cheaper than just building it as strong as you can make it. Suppliers may be supplying inferior goods, but the designs they are given are crippled from the drawing board. We seem to get mostly reliable bikes, but occasionally we get a dud.

Just barely up to the job??? MANY R3s running around reliably with 240-250 RWHP and a few with 300 or more.

Right??

Yes, they are, but we have a bike in which the designers may have contemplated such use. And it's true some early transmissions had issues. So it's not been a smooth road to the reliability we now enjoy. And it is we owners who find the weaknesses through our use of our bikes. With luck word gets back to Triumph and they get back to the drawingboard.

99.9 % of the time the damage is caused by the operators we havnt seen any poor quality parts in the Rockets but it only takes 1 mistake to frick up a transmission on any of the big powerful bikes so look to perfect your shifting and you wont have problems

Whhhhhaaaaaaatttttt about the substandard gear sets from Triumph, or the output bearings being installed backwards or the reason Triumph supplied an upgrade kit for the Rocket for around $200 bucks for, ahhh how many years??? What did improper shifting have to do with this? Won't have any problems?????

Whhhhhaaaaaaatttttt about the substandard gear sets from Triumph, or the output bearings being installed backwards or the reason Triumph supplied an upgrade kit for the Rocket for around $200 bucks for, ahhh how many years??? What did improper shifting have to do with this? Won't have any problems?????
Yep the older models had to be upgraded over the years so if ya get an 09 up ypu should be good to go unless some human fricked it up but anything will give problems if abused

Yep the older models had to be upgraded over the years so if ya get an 09 up ypu should be good to go unless some human fricked it up but anything will give problems if abused
BS :D I still have my 2005std with over 70000miles on it and not one upgrade to the engine or transmission and as I keep saying I have the most reliable bike that Triumph ever produced.

Back