transmission problem update

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
went to the dealership and had a good look a the engine and transmission all spread out on a table ,bike skeleton hanging over a lift table what a sad look !!
ok I mentioned I had a "slapping metallic sound " when loading the engine in 4th and 5th at 2500 rpm and above .. I expected to see gears and or shifting forks in bad shape yet the wrench tells me there are only some small nicks here and there but he ordered a bunch of gears and sundries hoping things will work out he also decided to look at the rear end but as I told him the "slapping noise" was felt in the footpegs and again only in 4th and 5th from 2500 rpm so I am none the wiser now but will fork over around 3000 dollars canadian for labor and parts and hopefully there will not be a slapping noise anymore
while waiting for parts if any captains has some insight in this baffling situation please tell me while the transmission is still on the surgical table awaiting new parts
I am truly in the dark on this one!!:banghead:

Patrick,
There is very little worse that spending a lot of money on a complicated mechanical fix that is unsure to solve the problem!?!?!
I feel for you, Amigo!
Best fortune on your results!

Hi Patrick, I think I would start looking at the clutch. If the rear end and gears are not to blame what else is there? Could the clutch slip and then grab? I feel your frustration.

Hi Patrick, I saw this kind or "repairing" done every day at the Kenworth shop. The mechanics guess because they really don't know what is wrong. They just throw parts at it hoping they guessed right. And when that doesn't fix it, they try something else. Your money is thrown down the drain. They never gave back the customers money when a part/sevice didn't fix it. They just asked me for more parts to try something else. This kind of poor service frustrated the heck out of me. And I got a bonus every month from these sales. I would have rather they got it right for the customers. I guess that is why I don't work there any more. And another reason I do all my own diagnosis and most of my own work.

have you any more info than just a slapping noise felt in the pegs at over 2500 revs in 4th & 5th?

if you were in 3rd at 60mph, with no slapping noise, then shift into 4th at the same speed, would the noise start?

if you hear/feel the noise at say 3000rpm in 4th or 5th and close the throttle, does it go away or remain until you get below 2500?

did the slapping noise increase in frequency with revs, or just sporadic whacks like something metal falling about in a washing machine?

We all feel your pain, Patrick.

Wishing you good luck with a successful diagnosis and repair.:thumbsup:

have you any more info than just a slapping noise felt in the pegs at over 2500 revs in 4th & 5th?

if you were in 3rd at 60mph, with no slapping noise, then shift into 4th at the same speed, would the noise start?

if you hear/feel the noise at say 3000rpm in 4th or 5th and close the throttle, does it go away or remain until you get below 2500?

did the slapping noise increase in frequency with revs, or just sporadic whacks like something metal falling about in a washing machine?

here are some answers to your queries
# 1 in third at 60 mph no metal slapping shift in to 4th if under 2500 rpm nothing if over 2500 slapping goes on ( I mention it is intermittent however increase RPM slapping gets more often and more predominat)

#2 if at 3000 rpm in 4th or 5th and close throttle slapping goes away ( it remain only when loading the engine if I cruise on a flat road at 2500 or above and not loading the engine no slapping but openin the throttle or climbing a hill ( hence loading the engine) will start the metal slapping

#3 opening the throttle under the above conditions will increase the frequency of said slapping rolling it off will see slapping disaepper whether in 4th or 5th

I am going to ask the wrench to check the clutch since he has looked at everything else currently he is checking the rear end and output shaft I guess we will see if all the parts ordered make a difference if not I will just let it fly till something break/crack/ explode and see wtf happens ..
I have a big trip in 2017 all summer in europe with my roadster I sure do not need the aggravation

We all feel your pain, Patrick.

Wishing you good luck with a successful diagnosis and repair.:thumbsup:

do you think something in the clutch COULD CAUSE SUCH A METAL SLAPPING I am under the impression that a clutch would slip and regain connection and you would notice a slowing down, beside I cannot believe it would make that kind of strong instant slapping noise??? I mean I can feel that strongly in the footpegs cannot be missed for sure

Hi Patrick, I saw this kind or "repairing" done every day at the Kenworth shop. The mechanics guess because they really don't know what is wrong. They just throw parts at it hoping they guessed right. And when that doesn't fix it, they try something else. Your money is thrown down the drain. They never gave back the customers money when a part/sevice didn't fix it. They just asked me for more parts to try something else. This kind of poor service frustrated the heck out of me. And I got a bonus every month from these sales. I would have rather they got it right for the customers. I guess that is why I don't work there any more. And another reason I do all my own diagnosis and most of my own work.

bill I wish I was wiser and find the problem!!! but this very strong slapping felt through the footpegs was so strong and clear that I never questioned my amateurish diagnostic I was sure we would find gears or shifting fork in bad need of replacement beside another captain had those very same symptoms and had
pictures posted to show the damages I felt that my problem was similar seems not!! and you are right about pissing money away only one way without recourse :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back