transmission problem update

I remember my 05 making a banging noise. It turned out to be a torsional spring on the drive shaft if my memory serves me.

do you mean the torsional spring in the output shaft what could that spring do to cause the
banging /slapping .
I had in 2010 to replace the outer bearing in that output shaft housing on my r3 2006
i am not to happy with the current situation, I understand sometime triumph has minor problems with parts when designing a new model ,a bad turn signal or a bad ignition switch as it has been the case for recent roadsters , but considering that my problems were very serious (read expensive) in 2010 and now I question the ability of part sourcing by triumph management at the highest level .

seems that it would appear a policy to consider that only a few riders will get the major problems due to less than best parts for the job ,hence the cheap parts hopefully will not break down all at once spreading the bad news throughout the years i had the output shaft problem on 2006 R3 and now this 2013 internal problem in the tranny and off course I wrote a friendly letter to triumph of america thinking maybe someone will see the problem for what it is I got an answer 24hrs later .
do I need to write what was the content !! I guess not

Last edited:
do you mean the torsional spring in the output shaft what could that spring do to cause the
banging /slapping .
I had in 2010 to replace the outer bearing in that output shaft housing on my r3 2006
i am not to happy with the current situation, I understand sometime triumph has minor problems with parts when designing a new model ,a bad turn signal or a bad ignition switch as it has been the case for recent roadsters , but considering that my problems were very serious (read expensive) in 2010 and now I question the ability of part sourcing by triumph management at the highest level .

seems that it would appear a policy to consider that only a few riders will get the major problems due to less than best parts for the job ,hence the cheap parts hopefully will not break down all at once spreading the bad news throughout the years i had the output shaft problem on 2006 R3 and now this 2013 internal problem in the tranny and off course I wrote a friendly letter to triumph of america thinking maybe someone will see the problem for what it is I got an answer 24hrs later .
do I need to write what was the content !! I guess not

Sux to be sure, Patrick.
Not that this is an excuse or accusation, BUT you did buy a used motor unknown how the previous owner(s) treated it.
I also have suspected the heel shifters to possibly be contributory . . .
Please continue to keep us advised regarding your sad saga. :inlove :thumbsup:

Sux to be sure, Patrick.
Not that this is an excuse or accusation, BUT you did buy a used motor unknown how the previous owner(s) treated it.
I also have suspected the heel shifters to possibly be contributory . . .
Please continue to keep us advised regarding your sad saga. :inlove :thumbsup:
I too have always considered heel shifters to be a bad idea , ever since I trashed the box on a mates Honda C90 in my teens . It's hard to gauge how hard you are pushing and doesn't have the sensitivity of a toe shift .
The shift forks seem too dainty on the R3 to withstand too much abuse IMO .

Patrick, Can you post some pics of the offending bushing and whatever shaft was in it?

Now that the damaged parts have been identified, will you change everything or take a chance on just the identified parts?

Good luck.

Patrick, Can you post some pics of the offending bushing and whatever shaft was in it?

Now that the damaged parts have been identified, will you change everything or take a chance on just the identified parts?

Good luck.

to all parties concerned thanks for the support I will get pictures for the forums with explanation as soon as I get the beast back with the parts replaced
Steve I do not have a heel shifter only the forward shifter and there never was any "banging of up or down shifting " by me you are also right about the used motor situation however according to the maintenance records the gentleman riding it before was not a hothead
and I do not think you could cause major damage within 7000 miles by just banging the shifter triumph of america replied to me after I explained my situation by mail ,
with the standard answer about warranty and the lack of it since it elapsed one year before..this occurrence....

This thread and several others are leading me to think that I will detach my heel shifter. I have the Touring so it should come right off easily.

to all parties concerned thanks for the support I will get pictures for the forums with explanation as soon as I get the beast back with the parts replaced
Steve I do not have a heel shifter only the forward shifter and there never was any "banging of up or down shifting " by me you are also right about the used motor situation however according to the maintenance records the gentleman riding it before was not a hothead
and I do not think you could cause major damage within 7000 miles by just banging the shifter triumph of america replied to me after I explained my situation by mail ,
with the standard answer about warranty and the lack of it since it elapsed one year before..this occurrence....

Only 7000 mi :eek: - AGREED, Amig0!

ye
Only 7000 mi :eek: - AGREED, Amig0!
Steve I knew the man that sold me the 2013 roadster he was not a hellbent for leather kind of rider more of a regular and the bike only had 10 000 kms on the counter so I had a good feeling about the transaction

and now I am up the proverbial creek with no paddle I am now waiting for the shop to let me know when it all ends.

ye
Steve I knew the man that sold me the 2013 roadster he was not a hellbent for leather kind of rider more of a regular and the bike only had 10 000 kms on the counter so I had a good feeling about the transaction
and now I am up the proverbial creek with no paddle I am now waiting for the shop to let me know when it all ends.

Only 6,200 miles!!!
Only bought one used motor in my life - a 1980 Honda with 175 miles from the 75 year old original owner.
I still have it, now with 475 miles! :D

Back