transmission problem update

Ya they changed a couple things in the transmission like second gear and a splined bushing. changed a couple shims. Oh and the bearings on the torsional damper. You don't see a lot of them failing anymore. But in the old days you didn't have so many bikes with bent shifting forks either. Makes me wonder as to what they loosened up in the box to make if shift so easy compared to the older bikes. Also makes me wonder it is has anything to do with the ability to bend the forks so easily. Or the detent spring failures that still occur. ( not on the older bikes though) Wheel bearings destroying the wheel oh and the latest ABS failure or was that a new automatic brake system :)

Should all roadster owners stock up on cam cover gaskets :D
Maybe the bugs in the bike just relocated !!!!

Sure all years of bikes have some issues that creep in but there still Rockets and a pretty darn good machine.

I would have to search my older posts because I believe it was someone on this forum that explained to me about the torsional spring problem. All I know is your symptoms sound just like mine. It felt like the driveshaft slipped and then BANG it would grab again. This was on an 05 standard and it eventually stopped. Drove it for years afterwards with no issues until one day the tranny locked up and threw me off. I'd be dead or severely brain damaged if my son wasn't following me. I suspect that the lockup was due to a bent shifter fork. Still have the 05 engine. I had intentions of taking it apart to confirm my suspicions but never did.

I would have to search my older posts because I believe it was someone on this forum that explained to me about the torsional spring problem. All I know is your symptoms sound just like mine. It felt like the driveshaft slipped and then BANG it would grab again. This was on an 05 standard and it eventually stopped. Drove it for years afterwards with no issues until one day the tranny locked up and threw me off. I'd be dead or severely brain damaged if my son wasn't following me. I suspect that the lockup was due to a bent shifter fork. Still have the 05 engine. I had intentions of taking it apart to confirm my suspicions but never did.

yep!! sounds like what I felt when I said "slapping noise " I just did not know how to express and convey the feeling felt in the footpegs when it occurred

I expect the final results of repairs in a week or so and will take pics for all to see on the forum and naturally after I wrote to triumph of america explaining my concern with cost about this problem I got a standard response "no warranty sorry bye!!"

Ya they changed a couple things in the transmission like second gear and a splined bushing. changed a couple shims. Oh and the bearings on the torsional damper. You don't see a lot of them failing anymore. But in the old days you didn't have so many bikes with bent shifting forks either. Makes me wonder as to what they loosened up in the box to make if shift so easy compared to the older bikes. Also makes me wonder it is has anything to do with the ability to bend the forks so easily. Or the detent spring failures that still occur. ( not on the older bikes though) Wheel bearings destroying the wheel oh and the latest ABS failure or was that a new automatic brake system :)

Sure all years of bikes have some issues that creep in but there still Rockets and a pretty darn good machine.
YEP that 50 cent detent spring its hard to believe that that liitle item cant be upgraded
yep!! sounds like what I felt when I said "slapping noise " I just did not know how to express and convey the feeling felt in the footpegs when it occurred

I expect the final results of repairs in a week or so and will take pics for all to see on the forum and naturally after I wrote to triumph of america explaining my concern with cost about this problem I got a standard response "no warranty sorry bye!!"
YEP we know the early bikes needed upgrading but the newer ones are as good and better than any of the other bikes on the market

YEP that 50 cent detent spring its hard to believe that that liitle item cant be upgraded

YEP we know the early bikes needed upgrading but the newer ones are as good and better than any of the other bikes on the market
go and tell that to my transmission!! obviously it does not know better.

Wheel bearings failing never saw any of those or cam cover gaskets either and Ive seen bent shift forks before on the Jap bikes and all makes before

Back