Trans problems with pics

Anyone know the pricing breakdown for work at Robinson industries?
Of course you should call them especially since the covid 19 might slow things down. I believe its about 1200.00 for everything including there billet 4th gear. It's worth them money you send complete shafts and bearings
The go thru it all including cleaning and inspecting the bearings. Under cut the dogs, cut the new cir-clip grooves for wider stronger clips. And properly shim everything.

Great thread! Do you mind telling me what issues you were having with your transmission?

I have been trying to figure out if I have a circlip issue or Detent spring issue, and really cant nail it down based on what I have been seeing

My 2013 roadster seems to hesitate or slip when in second gear under load. If I accellerate slowly there is no issue. Was it something like that?

Great thread! Do you mind telling me what issues you were having with your transmission?

I have been trying to figure out if I have a circlip issue or Detent spring issue, and really cant nail it down based on what I have been seeing

My 2013 roadster seems to hesitate or slip when in second gear under load. If I accellerate slowly there is no issue. Was it something like that?
That was my symptom when my circlip came loose, a skip is exactly what I called it. I was dumb enough to try to ride it to Colorado like that, shifting 1st to 3rd. It ate the tranny in St Louis at rush hour on the interstate on a blind curve, a few guys here were there.

Thanks Tripps! I guess I know what it is now. I was hoping it was the detent though...

I don't know if you know, but was second gear salvageable or was it unusable? How did you fix your transmission?

It chewed itself to pieces, replaced every moving part. Took it to Carpenter, he sent it off to Robinson. All new gears, billet 4th, back cut the dogs, heavier circlip, replaced the clutch while he was at it, $4000 later....

So this guys from West Virginia gets a hold of me thinking he has a transmission problem. Any he finally gets the motor out and split open takes a picture and sends it to me.
Screenshot_20200411-142337_Chrome.jpg

I contemplate a while then notices it. The cir-clip had moved. I quickly got a hold of him as he didn't see it. This was one that for some reason the Triumph Gods had him park the bike. Amazing no destruction .

So he "just" had to replace the circlip but the rest was good? Or did he have the gears undercut? Any insight?

Also, I am not a real mechanical guy. How can you tell the circlip has shifted?

So he "just" had to replace the circlip but the rest was good? Or did he have the gears undercut? Any insight?

Last I talked to him he was going to send the shafts off to Robinsons. Now do you see the splines below?
20200411_142419.jpg
if the Cir-clip was in the groove you would see them at all. :)
received_518664709009061.jpeg

The circlips are stamped out of stock so have one rounded edge and one square edge on the nominal bore. If the rounded edge is facing away from the gear it can be forced out of its groove by the pressure of the gear pushing on it through gear changes.

The easiest fix in the previous pix would be to remove the output shaft, turn the clip around and refit - but if it's already apart then might as well do the job properly and replace/undercut/etc

Back