forward controls (Finished with pics)

IngrahamS

.040 Over
Ride
Sold my Rocket need another...
Decided to make my own forward controls because the aftermarket doesn't (that I know of). I pushed the controls out 6 inches, i did this spending as little as possible. I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures of the actual fabrication but I just thought about doing a little write up tonight after i finished all the fabrication. the only material i had to purchase was a 3 foot length of 1" steel rod, I cut two 8 inch lengths and had my buddy machine both ends down to roughly 3/4" leaving 6" of 1" rod. I cut the control frames behind the guard mounting tabs and inserted the 1" rod into the frame ends. I then cut the front frame at the welds. I was able to use this piece to suport the front of the frames by flipping them around and fish mouthing them to wrap around the cast piece, I then used a MIG welder to tack everything while it was bolted to the machine to make sure when finish welding it didn't distort. once tacked I removed the frames from the machine and tig welded everything. I used a grinder to dress the front of the cast pieces up and a die grinder to blend all the welds in. I'm sure the directions leave alot to be desired but i've never been good about writing down step by step instructions. The overall dificulty wasn't bad, there is alot of welding, grinding, and measuring involved and I am fortunate enough to have my own mig, tig, and a motorcycle lift and a good friend that has access to a lathe. I have ordered a stainless braided brake line and will post up the part # as soon as I verify it fits properly. I still need to make a extended shift rod as well. Below are pictures before powdercoat, I apoligize again for any confusion reading this but I will be more than happy to answer any questions. Thanks
-Stew

DSCF0290.jpg
[/img]

I am getting them powdercoated black to match the rest of the pieces I had done. I will post pictures once they are finished with a parts list of pieces made and the brake line I had to buy from summit. Thanks for the compliments.
-Stew

****! I wish you were working on an '08+ R3T! I see you went with pegs. Did you start out that way or did you have to go with pegs to get moved forward?

Stew, I sent this post to my machinist friend. He and I have been talking about stretching the controls of my '08 R3T. He hasn't even seen my bike yet (he's 260 miles away). Seeing your efforts on this post will, no doubt, help he and I out tremendously. Thanks for posting it.

I started with pegs, my feet are too big for me to comfortable on running boards. I got my brake line tonight, i will try it tonight and post up the part # if it all works properly. Thanks
-Stew

Just how big are they cause mine are 14/15 depending on the brand of shoe And I put boards on my 05 and I am likeing them except I am not to good with the heel part of the shifter I might cut it off

my boot is a 16 6E wide, I found a picture of the two inserts that should make what i said above make more sense.
-Stew

OK, I gotta do it. And I really appreciate your efforts and your postings. Now I have to get with my machinist friend and get the bike to him. In the meantime, here's a few questions:

Where/how are you getting your brakeline done?

What problems, if any, have you run into in locating the brake and the shifter?

Did you have to put together a new shifter connecting rod or were you able to use the stock one?

Is there any brake wiring to worry about?

I got oodles of questions on this. As you know, what you're doing isn't in any Triumph manual. I guess questions are what happens when you're the first to invent the wheel, and I think you're the first (and live to talk about it).

Thanks for your response.
GR

Back