forward controls (Finished with pics)

GorgeRider said:
brake adapter 640541

Where does this go. Is it part of the brake line, brake lever, or master cyl. assembly? I can't seem to get a line on "Summit" via google. How about a little direction.

Thanks for the help.

That is a 90 degree fitting 10mm banjo on one end and -3 an on the other, it connects directly to the brake master.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys.
-Stew

Thanks, again IS.

This week I haul 'Ol Blue up to the other end of the state to see my machinist. He has all your pics an now the parts info. We'll see how it goes and I'll let you know.

OK, guys. Here's my (and machinist Jim Flower's) efforts to duplicate Stew's efforts. Sorry, Jim didn't have the timeto take pics during the process like Stew, but remember, Jim's efforts were based on Stew's work and his pics.

First, from the shifter side:

Next, from the brake side:

Jim did the same type of "cut and paste" work Stew did and used an inserted rod welded in place to hide the rear cut. Since he had to make such a sharp bend at the forward part of the rail, this also had to be reinforced from inside the tubing at the corner. The forward portions involved removing the forward flange (where it bolts to the engine) and fabbing up the corner assembly and rewelding it all back in place.

Jim's secret was in fabricating a jig to hold both rails in place, secured by the flange mounting bolts, and oriented to be both level and straight. He then made his cuts and fitted the inserts without moving the rest of the rail as it was bolted to the jig. Yes, he can replicate it all day long. And yes, when I went to bolt it up the other day it fit perfectly. All bolt holes lined up and all the brake and shifter bracketing was perfectly aligned since none of the floorboard or shifter or brake bracketing was removed from the tube. The only thing he had to keep in place was the rotation of the bracketing along the axis of the tubing.

My rails were originally chromed so I kept them that way (Ol' Blue favors a little bling here and there). I can't tell where the splicing was done and the chrome job by Oregon Plating was superb. The roughest thing about the workmanship comes directly from the welding department at Triumph - apparently they don't own a grinder over there.

The difference in ergonomics is amazing. I can simply lift my right toe up to the brake pedal without lifting my whole leg and shifting my weight on the bike. This is absolutely essential for quick stops and situations calling for delicate braking control. As you can see on the shifter side, the linkage is not hooked up and the heel portion of the heel/toe shifter is removed. By moving that shifter forward six inches, the bolt holding the heel shifter arm was interfered with by the engine case, thus making shifter rotation impossible. Also, the new angle of my ankle does not allow me to lift my heel to operate the heel shifter. I've ordered a new toe-only shifter and the heel/toe will be for sale in the near future. I have the linkage rod Stew suggested, but until the new shifter is mounted, I won't know if it'll work. The goal is to make both ends of the shifter linkage to be 90 degrees to what they're attached. The rod length is the remaining variable.

The brake side fit perfectly with the front left corner of the brake pedal only a millimeter from the radiator shroud (I think Jim got a little lucky here - he said he didn't do any dry fitting in the process). The brake line and fitting suggested by Stew fit well and end up looking factory. The brakeline location poses no clearance problems or risk of scraping the ground. I was hooked up and bled within an hour - and I'm really slow at this stuff.

Having my legs that far forward also affects how I sit in the saddle. Before, I was jamming my tailbone to the most rearward position possible. With the luxury of having my legs stretched out, I can now sit where there is the most padding and still keep my upper body weight off of my tailbone (critical to not having a sore ass and being able to ride for more than one afternoon at a time). If I continue to have saddle problems, I'll just have to bite the $1000 fancy custom seat bullit. At least now I know I have a chance at that option succeeding. Without moving my foot position there was not much hope it would work.

Today, There is nobody around to take any pics of me sitting on the bike to show you the difference that six inches of forward foot control movement can make. From my perspective, the difference is amazing. Pics will be coming in a day or two.

As far as whether or not Jim Flower wants to be in the Triumph Rocket Forward Control business? Frankly, I don't know. He just started a new job and is getting settled in. This may be a unique market for him in that a lot of big guys buy these bikes because they have a better chance of fitting them better. H-D's are built for the 5'8" crowd these days and so are most others without the same kind of modifications we discuss here. No one else is doing this modification and, as I see it, nobody has any plans to.

So, Stew, my sincerest thanks to you for your initial efforts, your pictures, and your write-up. Without your help and fearless approach to the problem we share, I'm not sure what I'd be doing about it - except, perhaps, a bunch more whining. And we've all had enough of that. If there's anything I can do for you, please feel free to holler at me. I'll give it my best shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back