Simple coloring skills are often useful to help special cases with poor comprehension.

The shim has solved my TPS failure problem. Haven't replaced one in 7 months now (was 4 per year)! :D

Shim is cut from .010" aluminum. Note that one side of "circle" is flat to fit TB.

The standard TPS is a poor fit against the throttle body. Consequently when tightened with the set screw, a stress is applied to this extremely sensitive potentiometer. IMO, this has been causing the frequent failures. The shim keeps the TPS "square" against TB, alleviating that stress... and so far keeping mine from failing again.

Simple enough fix. I'm ready for my third in as many months. Looks like a washer with a flat spot, easy enough to make.

Do you think the tightening issue is related to going past the 3.5nm torque spec?

I know I just tightened it till I thought it was good and most likely over did it.

I know you're pretty thorough and probably already made sure that wasn't an issue though.

I half considered making an adapter that would hold a two screw TPS, it looked like some of the KTRIC sensors had a similar pinout but I don't know about the voltage ranges.

Yes, probably the failures are related to over torquing. I doubt even Triumph dealers use torque wrench on TPS... it's too **** sensitive. The critical dimension is the thickness of your shim stock. If you look closely at TPS against throttle body, you will see that TB is not flush against TPS where screw mounts. That gap causes TPS to "cock" when torqued. The .010" shim fills that slim gap.

BTW, all R3 owners are welcome to my "mods and fixes". But be sure when you post this on R3Owners.com, to tell Owl, Scotty, and the ozholes that ain't warm rain they feel...

It's hombre pissin' down their necks! :D

Well, I won't do that...

Don't take this the wrong way or personally, it's not directed entirely at you, but some of you guys (on all sides) that hold grudges or take things so personally that it impacts your real life because of what is said on a web forum is just flat out pathetic.

It's like elementary school yard someone pissed in my cheerios immature crap.

If you want to hold a grudge against anyone, that's your deal, I don't want any part of it. It was before my time and I don't give a ****.

Hell, even if it was during my time, I still wouldn't give a ****. .net, .com, .org. .tv, .info I don't care. We are all owners and we are all here to share information and help each other out.

Anyone that lets something that happens on the Internet bother them that much really needs to reevaluate what is important in their lives. I don't care about blue vs. gray, army vs navy, axis vs allies.

Again, nothing against you personally H, I like you, I like what you've done and are doing and respect your technical expertise and I will cheer you on as you get further and further around that speedo but your battle with whoever on whatever site is your battle, not mine.

I'm just here to ride...

Hell I'm not trying to "enlist" you Juggs, just want it clear where this "tech tip" came from when it reaches over there (which I'm glad it did).

To make your own shim out of .010" aluminum roof flashing, cut a small square of material and drill hole for TPS screw. Then center an appropriately sized washer over the hole and draw circle on aluminum around washer. Just use scissors to cut the marked aluminum (it's very thin) and then slice a side flat to fit TB. Easy as pie! :cool:

I'll always give credit where credit is due.

The only reason I'm going the washer route is that it's the perfect excuse to need to buy a caliper. I've been meaning to buy one for awhile and never had the justification for it.

Now if it means I could save $100 every few months, well then it's all good!

Back