TORS -vs- Jardines

If you do come up with a solution I am sure it will sell like hot cakes. I am sure the guys over at k&n were trying to figure out why they were all of a sudden selling so many of the filters that we buy for the rockets when someone here figured out they would work.

Will do.

There are not many that have raised compression, but the interest is starting to grow.
Going from 8.5:1 CR to 10.5:1 CR gives a 5%-6% increase in output across the powerband. But it can increase thermal efficiency at part throttle MUCH more. It is not uncommon to see the same increase in compression cause a 15%-20% reduction in fuel consumption at cruise.

A win-win situation.

wayne--as sale prices drop on older models and notes get paid off as well , so will owner reluctance to modify the motors. so maybe CR kits are the next hot thing.
as far as MPG--don't think that will be a bike issue for performance guys. - especially IF you own a cager and still filling it up too!

toy--hope you and pig come up w/ a good filter set-up. hombre's use of the old hilborn type air scoop w/ flat filter and v stacks was a great idea, and deserves more work done on it.
good luck!!

Here is another R3 with Jardine full system and triple K&N RU-2780s. But this time the bearclaw was removed. It definitely likes more (and cooler) air. The results ( purple trace) proved to be very repeatable with pulling cooler air without the bearclaw. [ Divide by .885 for normal Dynojet comparison.]

These results seem to indicate the bearclaw is a fairly large restriction and holds in heat (especially by the results shown at lower rpm), and that the RU-2780s can produce some good results up to 6000 rpm when given cooler air.

All measurements finalized for the heat dam and velocity stacks. And the mold for the custom Bearclaw is nearing completion - I just need to add a flange for infusion, and finish the surface work after normal shop hours. I am getting bids on the billet velocity stacks now - in several lengths, tapers, and bellmouth shapes for testing. If the R3 acts like the other Triumph triples (Daytona 675, Daytona 955, and Speed Triple 1050), it should gain over 3.5% with the stacks alone.

Last edited:
I tested 9 different v-stacks variations on my naturally aspirated R3 2 years ago. I used 3 different lengths with 3 different bell mouth shapes. My test results clearly indicated an ideal size, as well as a required plenum volume. I look forward to comparing v-stack results, and drag racing a naturally aspirated R3 equipped with my ram air against one with your intake system. :cool:

I spent 7.5 hours on the dyno last Sunday testing stacks on a single bike (not an R3). And I am only 1/2 way done.

Finding what stack length, taper, and bellmouth shape an engine wants per cylinder usually requires a lot of trial and testing. Even more so for plenum volume.
I don't have plans for building a plenum, just a block for heat, and an alternative to the bearclaw for street use.

... and drag racing a naturally aspirated R3 equipped with my ram air against one with your intake system. :cool:

Hombre, What's up? You sound like I am intruding on your turf, with this little side project and what I am finding on the dyno and road? Did I somehow step on your toes? You did it first. But since it is not available and I see a need for it, I am building something for testing. If it works well, a few customers are interested. Does this somehow upset you.

If you are throwing down a gauntlet, it sounds interesting. One bike and rider, or do we bring our own dueling pistols and seconds?

Hey-question. I have jardines on my 08 and put in a PC 3. The bike runs really well but I have the feeling I'm a bit rich. I know I need to have it Dynotuned but do you have any baseline info on just how rich (or not) the PC3 is with the Dynojet tune?
I'm building my knowledge base a bit as the dyno guys here are not familar with R3's at all.
If you know-thanks in advance.
KOF

Wayne, you misunderstand my comment. I enjoy seeing the development of competing intake designs! Competition is how the best aftermarket parts are forged. It's certainly not "my turf", and I've waited a long time for others to realize what I found out long ago:

V-stacks provide a significant power boost to the R3... as does RAM AIR (or cold air if you prefer that term).

Actual racing competition is the best final comparison... not "paper racing" with dyno sheets. But I'm sure you know that. :cool:

Hombre,
Da..ng, inability to hear tone on forums can make things difficult. My apologies.

I would rather see before and after drag slips and lap times (both can show different needs) than dyno sheets.
It shows actual performance increases.

Dyno sheets today are becoming nearly useless. I was sent a few recently showing output at the crank, but measured at the wheel. Completely worthless.

And I would be happy to see a comparison on the strip of what you have built, and what I come up with. No BS, just time slips. Same bike (and rider) with tuning for each would likely be the best comparison.

One example of where Dynos can lead you wrong:
I was working on a road race bike air box (plenum). I kept finding that larger volumes looked great on the dyno with slower acceleration rates. But when testing at close to actual acceleration rates to the track coming out of tight turns, the engine wanted smaller volume for best lap times - peak output on the dyno meant little. It was all about giving the engine what it wanted, where it needed it most - coming out of corners in this case. Top end (long straights) wanted the larger volume and higher peak power, but the lap times slowed down.

I have even seen tread compounds alter what the engine needs/wants for best times - drags and road tracks.

Last edited:
I spent 7.5 hours on the dyno last Sunday testing stacks on a single bike (not an R3). And I am only 1/2 way done.

Finding what stack length, taper, and bellmouth shape an engine wants per cylinder usually requires a lot of trial and testing. Even more so for plenum volume.
I don't have plans for building a plenum, just a block for heat, and an alternative to the bearclaw for street use.

Hombre, What's up? You sound like I am intruding on your turf, with this little side project and what I am finding on the dyno and road? Did I somehow step on your toes? You did it first. But since it is not available and I see a need for it, I am building something for testing. If it works well, a few customers are interested. Does this somehow upset you.

If you are throwing down a gauntlet, it sounds interesting. One bike and rider, or do we bring our own dueling pistols and seconds?

hombre-looks like you've got a "taker" on your challenge !!! :D:D
he DID say "cold-air" not "ram-air" i believe.
will continue to look w/ interest from my cave on this all!

Back