TORs and Crossover install...Questions...Help

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I installed my TORs and Paul Bryant crossover today. A nice mellow tone with considerable bark when the throttle is blipped. So one of my questions is.... I have "not" installed my Ramair yet and don't plan to just yet. I am currently still running the Power Tripp Derestricting Tune that is good for running TORs. Can I just run this tune until I get around to installing the Ramair? I figure I'm not adding more air intake into the mix so why wouldn't I be good for now with just the TORs and crossover.

While I had things down, I put on a new rear tire. What a nightmare getting the tire back on the bike. :banghead::mad: After getting it on the final drive splines several time (what a fight) I couldn't get the spacer bushing in. I couldn't put the spacer bushing in first because then I couldn't get wheel on the final drive spline because there wasn't enough space. About 3/32" too tight all around. I though maybe the wheel on the spline of the final drive was being held up with the large o-ring. What was I doing wrong? Was that the problem? How do you draw it in? I finally force the bushing into place so it would drop into opening and the seal. Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, push, push, push.

I also did the driveshaft spline lube and thought that would be the nightmare getting the final drive back on the driveshaft spline. That was a piece of cake thanks to @1K9 and a post he made. I placed the head of a plastic tie under the spline to lift it. The spline slipped right into the final drive. Once started, I worked the tie around to the top of the spine and pulled it out. No fuss.

Any suggestion on the spacer install and current tune.

Attachments

• 20180420_122837.jpg
    20180420_122837.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180420_133129.jpg
    20180420_133129.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 6
I would have thought the tune should be good ? If your not getting too much decel popping , this would confirm the fact ! As far as the rear wheel spacer is concerned ? The only problem I found was that the spacer won't go between the bolts of the sine ring . I just remove one of the 8mm headed bolts and the spacer slips in easy and square to the seal !

Is the sine ring the ring for the ABS? I did notice that and considered removing a screw, but it almost looked like the wouldn't still allow me to get it in. It's really a tight fit. Maybe that is the trick. Thanks @Nat67

Also, is the decel popping a sign of the mixture being too rich. In some of the readings on the forum that was my take as there was too much fuel available in the exhaust.

I put the bushing in the wheel before raising the wheel, sometimes I put a bit of grease on the bushing to help hold it in.

Thanks...I tried all that as well but then I couldn't get the wheel on the spline side to go past on the final drive side. It was far enough away from not being on the spline it ate up the needed space. It seemed like all I needed was another 1/16 of a inch. I just don't remember people complaining about that when they changed the tire. I think I'm going to make a little compact dolly I can rest the tire on so I can rotate it on the dolly. Almost impossible to lift the tire even a little with my feet and I was reluctant to put my legs under the bike on the lift.

Another thought was to buy another spacer, shave it down just a bit, put it in, space out the remaining distance and tighten down the axle bolt to make sure the spline was pushed all the way on the final drive. Then withdraw the axle a bit, remove a screw from the sine ring and try to put the spacer again. What do you think?

Yeah I put the tire under then roll it up on a floor jack makes things much easier.

;)

Screw all this...I just decided I am going to buy another spacer find a decent metric washer and cut the spacer down the exact thickness of the washer to use in conjunction with the spacer I cut down.

What's the difference... as long as the total spacing is the same. I figure I need to find a washer around 1/16 " thick. Wish me luck..

Is the sine ring the ring for the ABS? I did notice that and considered removing a screw, but it almost looked like the wouldn't still allow me to get it in. It's really a tight fit. Maybe that is the trick. Thanks @Nat67

Also, is the decel popping a sign of the mixture being too rich. In some of the readings on the forum that was my take as there was too much fuel available in the exhaust.
The decel popping generally denotes a lean condition ,

On a standard exhaust the popping and burning is contained within the pipe and baffles , with a more open pipe like the tors you get reversion this is basically air being sucked back up the pipes which helps any unburned fuel ignite . On a stock pipe you don't get the reversion which equals no oxygen and hence no big bang . This is why air leaks and the like in an exhaust system should always be addressed ! To cure decel pop , a tuner would add more fuel at 0% throttle openings this in effect cools the pipe and makes it harder for the sunburned fuel to ignite !
This is my understanding of it and I'm sure far more knowledgeable guys than me will chip in if I am wrong !

The decel popping generally denotes a lean condition ,

On a standard exhaust the popping and burning is contained within the pipe and baffles , with a more open pipe like the tors you get reversion this is basically air being sucked back up the pipes which helps any unburned fuel ignite . On a stock pipe you don't get the reversion which equals no oxygen and hence no big bang . This is why air leaks and the like in an exhaust system should always be addressed ! To cure decel pop , a tuner would add more fuel at 0% throttle openings this in effect cools the pipe and makes it harder for the sunburned fuel to ignite !
This is my understanding of it and I'm sure far more knowledgeable guys than me will chip in if I am wrong !

That seems to make sense and is very logical. With a more open exhaust I would expect to hear more on deceleration that would not be heard with a more restrictive exhaust. Air mixing in supporting combustion of unburnt fuel again is very logical. It's kind of like when you put those glass packs and cherry bombs on you car as a kid. There was always more deceleration noise. As long as I'm not dealing with a shotgun sound, I think I will be good. :eek::rolleyes::banghead:

That seems to make sense and is very logical. With a more open exhaust I would expect to hear more on deceleration that would not be heard with a more restrictive exhaust. Air mixing in supporting combustion of unburnt fuel again is very logical. It's kind of like when you put those glass packs and cherry bombs on you car as a kid. There was always more deceleration noise. As long as I'm not dealing with a shotgun sound, I think I will be good. :eek::rolleyes::banghead:
My bike is dyno tuned for the Ramair and dp outlaws , when I run it down hard I get some proper bangs and gurt big blue flashes . I love it ! :sneaky: :)

Back