This battery and an always connected (when parked in my garage) Battery Tender Junior have never failed me: Yuasa HP Maintenance Free Battery 1991-1995 Kawasaki JL650 SC YTX20HL-BS-PW

A good tip for starting a cold Rocket III is to turn the key and allow the instruments to sweep without engaging the starter, then turn it off and start as normal. That pumps some extra fuel into the cylinders, ensuring a quicker start and less stress on the battery.

Here's an equivalent to the Yuasa battery, but made in the USA: Motocross YTX20HL-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery
I would replace the stock battery wih the most powerfull 720 cranking amps 24 cell lithium models BALLISTIC-ANTIGRAVITY they last twice as long and will start the bike in the coldest climate and they are a lot lighter

FYI - The Rocket
If your just looking for a lead acid battery then try a Scorpion I have one along with my 600 AMP Speed Cell lithium oxide battery. Alone they work great I just had the lithium battery laying around so why not add it.
YTX20DHL Battery | Harley Davidson 12 Volt Motorcycle Batteries
320 CCA works great the last time I bought one it was just under 100 bucks to my door.
I order my Brake pads from Flip good service.

I recently did an extensive battery search for our Rockets regarding fit and stats.
That Scorpion SSTX20HQ-FP is a lithium MONSTER - tis the appropriate size with 525 CCA! 3.15 lbs
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This battery and an always connected (when parked in my garage) Battery Tender Junior have never failed me: Yuasa HP Maintenance Free Battery 1991-1995 Kawasaki JL650 SC YTX20HL-BS-PW

A good tip for starting a cold Rocket III is to turn the key and allow the instruments to sweep without engaging the starter, then turn it off and start as normal. That pumps some extra fuel into the cylinders, ensuring a quicker start and less stress on the battery.

Here's an equivalent to the Yuasa battery, but made in the USA: Motocross YTX20HL-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

YESSIR, Phil . . . and with 17.5 Ah & 310 CCA! 12.5 lbs

Last edited:
... and only 400 smackers!:eek: Hell's bells, that would keep me in fresh AGM batteries for at least 10-12 more years.;):laugh:

Though I'd chime in since I just replaced my Metz 880 with a Excedra-Max G852..

Metz had 3600 miles on it, I probably could have gotten another 400-500 safely.

The Excedra-Max feels really similar, though, turn in is slightly better (55 vs 50 aspect ratio, and its new), but it seems much stiffer to me. The sidewalls, though taller, feel to my rear that they have less flex to them. Seems to grip just fine, both cornering and straight line, so as long as it lasts the same or better, I'm ok with that at 40 dollars less.

Though I'd chime in since I just replaced my Metz 880 with a Excedra-Max G852..
Metz had 3600 miles on it, I probably could have gotten another 400-500 safely.
The Excedra-Max feels really similar, though, turn in is slightly better (55 vs 50 aspect ratio, and its new), but it seems much stiffer to me. The sidewalls, though taller, feel to my rear that they have less flex to them. Seems to grip just fine, both cornering and straight line, so as long as it lasts the same or better, I'm ok with that at 40 dollars less.

Your post about getting a "Excedra-Max G852" got me to thinking as I thought they were different tires.
I researched the Bridgestone web site and found the following differences:

Stone-G852-V-Exedra-Max.jpg

Good catch, I had no idea they were different tires! To clarify, mine were the 852s, so a smidgen wider and taller. Oem fitment for suzuki C109.

Back