dawb

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
Ok, so for the last 45 years of riding i have dutifully maintained tire pressure (ok, thats a lie) using the pressure listed on the side of the tire as my guide. Yesterday, i was reading through the latest Cycle World issue and there in the service section was an inquiry about setting tire pressures and the expert says never go by the number listed on the tire, ALWAYS use the pressure recommended by the bike manufacturer as stated on the frame and owners manual.

The question asker clearly stated he was switching around tires, not using stock items.

Wtf? Really? Use the setting in the manual not on the tire?

The pressure listed on the side of the tire is the maximum pressure for that tire – not necessarily the correct pressure for the bike it’s mounted on. You should start with the manufactures recommended pressure and then adjust to suit your riding conditions – load, speed – to get ride quality you like.

I read that question too. My understanding and experience says to use as a "general" safety rule is to inflate tires to the vehicle manufacturer tire inflation sticker. The number on the tire is the tire manufactuers rating for the maximum pressure for tire full weight rating and maximum safe pressure. Somewhere between those 2 numbers is going to be what you need depending on circumstances. One PSI does not apply to every situation.

Appreciate the input guys. As they say, you learn something new everyday and I did. I have always just gone with the tire markings, realizing of course the maximums and hot vs cold, etc. I will alter course and use the manual. Thanks!

Tyre pressure should be checked when the tyre is cold.

Just something else to be aware of, as the weather in the northern hemisphere is getting cooler, your tyre pressures will go down. Check all of your vehicles' tyre pressures and make sure that they are at spec.

The owners manual and the sticker on the headstock tube states for the R3T
36psi front
41psi rear

I have found that I like,
38psi front
43 rear that what works for me.

Has anybody tried nitrogen in their tires? The ford dealer tries to sell it to me every time I'm in for a lof.
I know the benefits of nitrogen being inert, should minimize contraction, expansion and moisture inside the tire/rim. But I can't justify the expense with out a honest opinion.

So I had to break the service advisor stones, after his ten minute sales pitch about how it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I asked him if he had nitrogen in his car tires, and how do they purge all the air out so its only has nitrogen in the tire?
Then I asked the owner!

Guess what they both said after a long pause and a stupid look on both of their faces?

NO! They do not have nitrogen in their cars tires.

I don't think they will ask me any more.

When changing tires to a brand other than OEM, I also consider the weight rating of the new tire versus the OEM and adjust up or down a couple pounds accordingly.

The atmosphere is already about 78% nitrogen anyway. Putting pure nitrogen in the tires is nice, but not really all that effective unless you are super high speed driving or taking your tires into space.

Back