Welding extra metal on them and then machining them to 18" specifications. Its cheaper then Cabon Fiber rims so I thought I might try it as I have an extra rear wheel!

yes bones, running the cobra and mezt Both are **** good tires but they don't make a Z rated tire for the 16 inch so I will need a larger rim diameter. I wish I could piss the money away on Carbon Fiber rims but 4k is a lot of money for two rims.

Have you checked out the strenght issues of welding the alloy to the cast alloy wheel, you wouldn't want to have a fracture along the weld half way round a corner. you would really need to make sure your welder knows his stuff to maintain (relivent heat treatment needed) the strenght where metal crystline structure changes from cast to the noncast alloys. if you have done the research I for one would be keen just to be able get a bigger selection choice of tyres. cheers :Tip-Hat:

Warp chatting to a local reputable Alloy welder as I have only limited alloy welding experence he said that he would not do it due to to the same concerns that I had already stated plus the only way would be to heat the entire wheel (to reduce stresses built up the heating and shrinking of the weld area) which would anneal it and then the rim would be to soft and buckle very easilly not to mention fall a part at speed.
He incidently is a motor cyclist and man I would trust with very good reputation.
I for one will not be trying that and be hoping I win the lottery so I can buy some Carbon Fibre wheels at about 5 grand

Thanks for the heads-up. I ordered one we'll see if they can deliver or if they are backordered. Bike Bandit said there are none in any of the manufacturers warehouse.

Back