Thunderbird Sissy Bar And Rack On A Roadster...with Pics

TXtriple

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
So, I bought the factory sissy bar and rack for the Roadster and after getting it all mounted up I stepped back and looked at it. :(

The side brackets were too wide for the sissy bar...the tubing was square (I think it's the only square parts on the bike)...and that pad was a joke. There had to be a better option. So, I crossed my fingers and bought what was supposed to be a quick connect sissy bar/cargo rack for an R3 Touring. Turns out it was for a Thunderbird. Not sure what the difference is, but it looked like it would work...

I started by taking off all of the quick connect stuff since it wasn't going to be used. Then I opened up the front mount with a bench grinder and Dremel. I didn't measure it, but the idea is to get it big enough to fit over the front mounting point. A big washer and nut hold it on.

20181010_182626.jpg
20181010_182714.jpg

Last edited:
Then I figured out where to drill the hole for the rear mount. 1/4 inch forward from a line drawn at the straight edge of the hole left from removing the quick connect hardware and .60 in up from bottom edge.
20181010_182557.jpg

Back