Throttlebody Mods and Tune

Doesn't the Rocket have a dedicated ambient air pressure sensor that adjusts fueling for altitude (pressure) changes?
Well yes it does - But when you start playing with PCV (or any piggyback system) maps all that goes out of the window as the adaptive settings in the Base ECU are no longer valid.

Ah bud they are still valid!

If the stock ECU added 5% fuel because of an extreme altitude or pressure change, that 5% is still added and then modified by the PC-V. That’s actually the main reason FI was invented.

I’ve moved away from load based for a bit. The TPS based must be dialed in prior to going to tune the load portion and my TPS tuning is not yet complete.

Tomorrow it’ll be perfect, Nels the local magician is putting it on his dyno to tune at 3 PM.

Ah bud they are still valid!

If the stock ECU added 5% fuel because of an extreme altitude or pressure change, that 5% is still added and then modified by the PC-V. That’s actually the main reason FI was invented.

I’ve moved away from load based for a bit. The TPS based must be dialed in prior to going to tune the load portion and my TPS tuning is not yet complete.

Tomorrow it’ll be perfect, Nels the local magician is putting it on his dyno to tune at 3 PM.
Acknowledged. I understood that by disabling the O2 box - all adaptive are disabled. I stand corrected.

Coz here's the thing.

Piston moves down. Vacuum. pressure drops in TB. But does it drop to the same MAP at 0M and 1000m or does it drop by (say) 2psi relative to atmospheric. Or (more likely) somewhere in between - depending on altitude?. From home to the coast there is a 10% atmospheric difference-ish. At 2000m plus I know what happens when you have tuned for sea level - The engine complains. At 5000m well I have problems breathing (my limit is 5100m) so it's no great surprise that engines do too.

Can you pop Nels in the post when you have finished with him pls!

The second map sensor, the one on the battery box, is used as a multiplicative factor to the base F/L table.

I adamantly refute that all adaptive dare disabled with o2 unchecked. The only thing disabled in my experience is the o2 heater circuit, and o2 feedback function (closed loop). As a result the ECU never enters long term fuel trim mode (what’s known incorrectly on these forums as adaptive). Beyond that the ECU must still use all other variables as detailed below or your bike would run notable different from day to day.

If the table calls for X value, the ECU takes X * air temp * barometer setting * warm up enrichment value * acceleration enrichment value * long term fuel trim (aka adaptive) = injector pulse width.

The MAP signal coming from the TBs is used to locate the correct table value, which is them multiplied by all the environmental run time variables.

This is why you don’t really tune for a given altitude or temp (in theory) as the ECU is always compensating for altitude and temp.

We all know algorithms are not perfect so there’s SOME value to tuning to a specific altitude, but if it’s all working as intended it’s not needed.

Tune Adjustments.png

Ah i see you're getting good use out of that superfine %TP 9000rpm map, exxcellent :D

If the table calls for X value, the ECU takes X * air temp * barometer setting * warm up enrichment value * acceleration enrichment value * long term fuel trim (aka adaptive) = injector pulse width.
FYI I had a bit of a shock this AM - AIT under the claw and open filters can get REALLY high. Now I knew from Wayne Tripp it happens - but over 50°C was a a surprise (Ambient was just over 30°C). I was temporarily on stock tune, pipes for the MoT test. It felt hot and castrated.

FYI I had a bit of a shock this AM - AIT under the claw and open filters can get REALLY high. Now I knew from Wayne Tripp it happens - but over 50°C was a a surprise (Ambient was just over 30°C). I was temporarily on stock tune, pipes for the MoT test. It felt hot and castrated.

Indeed it does, yet another reason to chop up the claw (unless you need to pass MOT where you live), or keep a spare chopped up one.

Indeed it does, yet another reason to chop up the claw (unless you need to pass MOT where you live), or keep a spare chopped up one.
Well IN THEORY if the tester sees an "open" sports filter it's a fail.

I had the OZ-Claw on and was a bit surprised. Looked late last night and the sensor had fallen down so was getting a lot of radiator wash. But I have a spare claw sat waiting for some dremel work. But yet another avenue for research and maybe a little development..

Sleeves it’s not a user accessible option, it’s a rewrite of the ECUs base coding that eliminates the engine code.

If you send me your tune I’ll forward it to Alain and see if he can do the same for you.

I have them totally uninstalled no stepper or secondary TPS anywhere on my bike now.

Hi Rob

Sorry for the delay with reply and thought as much.

Thanks for the offer I'll send my map on PM tomorrow and would be grateful if this could be done. Just thinking long term for all older bikes as parts will become a problem over time so being able to ditch "unnecessary" parts and keep the fault light off will be real good.

Back