Throttle tension adjustment?

The Rocket throttle is stiffer than any other bike I've owned (roughly 20 bikes). My guess is there's nothing wrong with your throttle.

Thank you, Daryl!
I have been riding many many motors for over 60 years and appreciate the confirmation. My new 2012 R3R has a very stiff twisty. Don't know about the other models; but, my brother has ridden it for 100 miles and agrees. No cable bind - no problema - just a stiffy. :p

I do believe I shall pick up one of those $10 throttle grip palm supports to use in conjunction with the "Go Cruise".
1olbull

That is what I am thinking.
Just a stiff throttle.
But we will make the rip to here them say it.
My wrist wants a second opinion!

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

Okay everyone, here is the scoop.

We went to Kissell Motorsports in State College, Pa. since they have been servicing Triumph bikes for years.
They tried the throttle and said the stiffness is natural with that bike but it was not smooth but kind of gritty.
They took it in and added some grease to the pulleys inside the throttle area.
They also tried to give the throttle a little slack.
They said there is no play in it and there should be just a little.
They said more slack can be given.
The two areas to adjust this are down by the throttle entering the engine area and up at the throttle itself.
They said the throttle was out to the limit when it arrived there today.
They said it would take a little time to get in and adjust it below and that would be best scheduled ahead of time.
They also said the hand grips are unusually shiny and slippery and that would also make gripping it hard.
The original dealer (Yamaha of Camp Hill) put xylon on the bike and we feel they may have put it on the grips also.
This makes the grips very slippery so you work hard to hold onto it.
One guy today said take rubbing alcohol and remove the shiny and slippery coating from the grips.

We learned a lot today.
We learned I am not nuts (told you Mom!) and that a little more might be able to be done to enhance our ride.

But most of all - I learned just how nice of a ride the Triumph Rocket III Touring SE is with a fantastic 150 mile ride today.
That baby just hummed along enjoying the road itself!

And a stop for gas enabled a couple of people to come over and ogle the bike while filling.
We enjoyed that also.

Thanks everyone.

And yes - you can add a little oil to the cable the Triumph tech stated.

Now - what R3 owners live in Pa. and would like to meet up?
We can get together for lunch and allow the entire place to ogle a parking lot full of Rockets!!

God bless!!

Michael and Karen

Did you try another R3T while at the dealership? I've not seen a problem like yours discussed on this site. The grips on the Rocket are hard and slippery with or without conditioner or wax sprayed on them. Adjusting the cables to a point with no slack or with slack, should make no difference regarding the return spring tension.

I guess I get a bit concerned when the dealership techs fool around with any thing on my bikes. I've seen what goes on at some dealerships. That's why I suggested trying another new R3 before you start attempting to fix something that ain't broke. Let us all know how it turns out.

The first thing we did was try the throttle on another R3T sitting in the show room.
Then we all headed out to our bike.
They all felt the stiffness was natural but felt it should be a little smoother.
So they shot a little oil/grease into it.
They did not charge anything so that was good.
They just wanted to make it a little smoother.

Another guy there had his '08 R3T.
We went and checked out his throttle.
His was near as stiff as ours but the grips were not slippery or shiny.
They looked like my grips only with GRIP!
He said they are the factory grips.

The dealer shot the oil in and said run it and see how it feels.
The ride home was a little better (either it was better, it was all in my head that it was better, or it was that we were heading home and going home makes everything better.)

So we shall run it several rides and see how it feels.
You could see the dealer's people knew their stuff and I felt comfortable what they wanted to try.
None of it was life risking.
So we see how it works.

But the ride home on that machine was really sweet!
Did we mention the ogler at the gas station - oh yes, I forgot!
Ride was so smooth with lots of power to spare.

We saw a Kawasaki with a trailer.
I told my wife we could pull a trailer with our bike.
In fact probably straight up a power pole with the power we ride on.
But we don't do trailers.

Thanks guys.
I will let you know how things progress.

God bless!!

Michael (and Karen)

I put a Cramp Buster on mine. I sold the bike a couple of years ago. My neighbor came over today to borrow a tool and I went out to the garage to get it. When I opened the drawer in my tool chest, there was my Cramp Buster. I didn't even remember taking it off of the Rocket before I sold it. Lol

Now you just need to do two things and you will have a perfect running bike. Install D&D mufflers and a Powercommander PCV with an Auto Tune. The bike will NOT be loud and the performance and rideability improvement will finish off the bike. I removed my secondary throttle plates also, but I'm not completely convinced one needs to do that. If you take the advice, your bike will run like the wind!

If your grips are still slippery, try the ISO grips or something similarly fat and grippy. I'd get them anyway (actually I have them ;)) You will appreciate the difference.

Back