Throttle tension adjustment?

Steele Rocket

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph R3T, 2013 Honda NC700X, 1992 Honda Shadow 1100
2013 Triumph Rocket III Touring SE

My throttle is so hard to turn and hold for any length of time.
It makes my hand very tired to hold after a short time of riding.

A) Can the throttle tension be adjusted to lighten it up??
B) Does the spring relax after a short time of use?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

What Warp said!!! You throttle should float freely, both accelerating and return. Big safety issue there Brother.

Depending on your age, depending on your hand and wrist strength, the R3T has three throttle bodies. They each have a return spring that are NON adjustable and the tension will not change over time. My Harley SG that I sold last year was an "easy on the throttle hand" bike. That's because it only had one throttle body.

You could have a problem. Have your dealer check it,, or better yet, try another new Rocket at your dealer. Touring or Roadster, it does not matter which. I use a "Throttle rocker" on long rides. Short rides I'm fine. Good luck either way! :D

It is not that the throttle sticks or feels as if it is blocked.

It is just that it takes so much strength to hold the throttle while riding.

My brother-in-law rides and he tried it this morning and he was stunned at how hard it is to turn the throttle on the Rocket.

I thought my Shadow's throttle was a little strong.

This Rocket throttle makes the Shadow feel as light as a feather.

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

Yea Mike, it's kinda like "ya get what ya get." My 05 Honda ST1300 had four throttle bodies with the exact same return springs. It was hard on my right hand also. I was used to the Harley with an easy spring tension. If Harley got one thing right it was that! Try the throttle rocker. It goes on and off with a Velcro strap in seconds. It cured the problem for me.

The dealer we bought the bike off of is new to Triumph so I called a dealere in the area with many years of experience.

They said bring in the bike so they can try it to see if it is what they would call normal or abnormal.

They said it is possible that there is a kink or twist in the cable causing resistance.

Saturday my wife and I will run down and have them look into it.

I have been searching out the throttle assists such as the Throttle Boss.

I will also look into the Rocker you mentioned.

But my hand actually starts to cramp up at times due to having to grab hard for long periods.

Are there throttle locks out there for the Rocket?

We have had issues with the Rocket and I do not want to be picky but for the cost of the bike and the fact that I have never rode a bike with this bad of a throttle makes me want to get it addressed.

Thanks for the input and stay tuned for Saturday's update as to what, if anything, they may find.

God bless!!

Michael

Stiff throttles are common on the Rockets due to the return springs as mentioned. I installed a Throttle rocker and a Throttlemeister lock. It works great and looks like the stock bar end weights.

The reason I like the rocker is it's simplicity. I've seen advertisements for the other device mentioned. It appears to have a lot of parts and monkey motion. And it's mounted where you can't just unstrap it and take it off.

My hand cramps up within a few miles as it did with my ST1300. The ST was worse. Like I stated earlier, around town or in the mountains I don't use the rocker. But out on the road I do. I don't like the rocker in the mountains, as I loose throttle control with it. Not good!

I just tried the Rocker's website and they are no longer in business.

There is also the crampbuster (Scottoiler | Motorbike chain lube | Scottoiler fs 365) which looks really nice.

One of my issues is I have a 2013 and I do not know if the specs are the same from 2012 to 2013.

I just need to figure how to order something using American dollars when the website is in British pounds.

I will look for other similar products.

If you know of anything let me know.

Is this the Rocker you mentioned (British Customs)?

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

Back