Nuclear Boss

Standard Bore
So my 2006 Rocket 3 with about 15k miles has been having this very annoying problem more frequently. When decelerate or coast, it seems to miss several beats, causing "lurching." when I accelerate she seems to respond just fine, with smooth power.

Also, to test it when it is acting up, at a stoplight I'll press in the clutch and rev it up to 3000, 4000, 5000, or 6000, and hold the throttle steady, but the RPMs jump all over the place, pausing here and there at different rpms with no rhyme or reason.

About three or four thousand miles ago, I had the common idle problem which resulted in the dealer retuning it with a different map, which didn't work for more than about a week, and then I got my primary throttle position switch replaced. This worked for about two thousand miles and now this new problem.

Any thoughts or experience on this problem? I appreciate it, thanks,

Jeff

So my 2006 Rocket 3 with about 15k miles has been having this very annoying problem more frequently. When decelerate or coast, it seems to miss several beats, causing "lurching." when I accelerate she seems to respond just fine, with smooth power.

Also, to test it when it is acting up, at a stoplight I'll press in the clutch and rev it up to 3000, 4000, 5000, or 6000, and hold the throttle steady, but the RPMs jump all over the place, pausing here and there at different rpms with no rhyme or reason.

About three or four thousand miles ago, I had the common idle problem which resulted in the dealer retuning it with a different map, which didn't work for more than about a week, and then I got my primary throttle position switch replaced. This worked for about two thousand miles and now this new problem.

Any thoughts or experience on this problem? I appreciate it, thanks,

Jeff

That is a very good way to make short work of your clutch lifter shaft and burn it out. Don't do that.

Get your primary TPS checked again.

Have you cleaned and re-crimped the low tension leads to the coils yet they tend to loosen over time and loose contact giving you plugs a erratic fire. Number 2 and 3 coils are the easiest to get at you can start there and see if you problem goes away but if it does I still recommend checking number one coil which is up under the neck of the frame. Hopefully you have switch to triple filters so you do not have to pull all the plumbing. But if you have the plumbing still attached then definitely try coil 2 and 3 first. Needle nose pliers are good to crimp the connectors and apply some dielectric grease to the terminals before you put the connectors back on.

Sounds like coils to me.
Revs to 5k+ is way too much for troubleshooting.
Check all three coils and make SURE that all of the connections are perfect.

Further to Warps suggestion, back in the day ( I have aftermarket coils now) when I checked my Low tension coil leads, they were loose as a whores drawers!

The dealer has had the bike for almost 2 weeks and can't figure it out. I mentioned the low tension leads to the coils, and they have checked that. Also was not the primary TPS. The secondary TPS is slightly off, but they don't think that is the issue.

The dealer has had the bike for almost 2 weeks and can't figure it out. I mentioned the low tension leads to the coils, and they have checked that. Also was not the primary TPS. The secondary TPS is slightly off, but they don't think that is the issue.

Dealer CAN'T tell if the TPS is out ( as it will perform fine on THEIR software).... Only way to tell is change it for new & run the bike. The symptoms point to the ECU being unsure where the throttle position is.. thats a TPS issue. BTW just because you have one replaced fairly recently, doesn't mean it's not crapped out again.

Back