2023 R3 GT Throttle to Throttle Body out of sync

Deadeye

.020 Over
Ride
2023 Rocket 3 GT
Hey folks just thought I’d share an issue I had (hopefully resolved) with my 2023 R3 GT from new out of the showroom. When I was only slightly throttling on, the engine revs would fade slightly, then with a bit more throttle it would accelerate fine; this was particularly rude when throttling up slightly through a corner, where it would dip into the corner as the revs came off. Interestingly the cruise control also didn’t like it as it would try and make small throttle adjustments and too would have the revs drop, and was easily fluctuate over 10-15km/h, particularly through the hills.
I took it back almost immediately and they said the sync’s the throttle and throttle body. I rode off and seemed fine, but as the engine heated up it came back. I tried changing all the riding modes, turning off and on the shift assist a few times and running with it off too (good advise from one of our members who experienced a similar issue), turning off traction control; all with no change.
Had the 1000km service and they said they could also feel the issue and booked it to be diagnosed; they suspected it might be a leak in the inlet manifold. At least they could feel it too; wasn’t just in my head.
They again re-sync’d the throttle and throttle body, but this time they undid all of the throttle cable clamps and retightened them. I know it’s fly by wire system but there must still be some moving cables in the path, I suppose up near the throttle body. Anyway, that has seemed to resolve the issue.
At last, I’m enjoying my Rocket. I’m still holding off another week before I fit my Werkes exhaust just in case the issue resurfaces, but I’m quietly optimistic.
Sorry for the War & Peace.

Quick update. The issue returned shortly after. It’s been in the workshop for almost 3 weeks. Told them to not come back with ‘sync’d the throttle and throttle body’ for a third time. They removed the throttle body and said the gasket between the throttle body and inlet manifold is warped allowing extra air to leak into the 2nd and 3rd cylinder. Sounds feasible. Triumph are airfreighting a new gasket to South Australia’s. OMG I hope this is it because for a new bike in October, I’m pretty disappointed. Hopefully when I get it back in a few weeks it’s fixed🤞🏻

not a great experience which should have been a daily joy.

reflash the ECU with a penner map... your problem sounds like electronic/software related at least for me
or a fuel problem…

Thankfully the dealer can also feel the issue, and not just in my head. They can keep making changes under warranty until it’s fixed. I’m glad now I got the extended warranty too. Thanks for the advice though. I’m always happy to help steer them if necessary 🙂

I left my bike with them and said don’t return it until you’re absolutely sure it’s fixed. Turns out the mating between the throttle body and inlet manifold was warped out of the factory around the 2 &3 cylinders. So it was sucking air and making it lean when throttling up. Triumph sent over a new manifold, gaskets, etc and after 30 days in the workshop I now have a correctly performing Rocket. Very happy at last.

Back