Cherokee

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Indian Chief Vintage
Well I just broke my 2nd throttle grip. The ones when I bought my bike were the heated grips everyone had issues with so I replaced them with Kuraykan Iso Grips a year ago. Yesterday they broke and left me stranded near Cunningham Falls between towns. Took me 2 hours to get a tow from AMA and was lucky enough to find a Honda/Indian dealer that had some Avon grips that would work. So $70 later and several hours I got back on the road.

My question is this. Is there any grips that have aluminum or metal throttle cams (or whatever they are called). I see the Avon grips actually have a piece that looks replaceable. Can you buy just the one part or do you have to buy the grips also?

Well I just broke my 2nd throttle grip. The ones when I bought my bike were the heated grips everyone had issues with so I replaced them with Kuraykan Iso Grips a year ago. Yesterday they broke and left me stranded near Cunningham Falls between towns. Took me 2 hours to get a tow from AMA and was lucky enough to find a Honda/Indian dealer that had some Avon grips that would work. So $70 later and several hours I got back on the road.

My question is this. Is there any grips that have aluminum or metal throttle cams (or whatever they are called). I see the Avon grips actually have a piece that looks replaceable. Can you buy just the one part or do you have to buy the grips also?

I see you ride a Touring. Perhaps you need to load a de-restricting tune to unleash a few more of the ponies so you don't have to crank the throttle so hard ;)

Seriously though, I though the throttle problem only occurred on stock "heated" grips. I would definitely get ahold of Kuraykan and see if they will stand behind their product.

I see you ride a Touring. Perhaps you need to load a de-restricting tune to unleash a few more of the ponies so you don't have to crank the throttle so hard ;)

Seriously though, I though the throttle problem only occurred on stock "heated" grips. I would definitely get ahold of Kuraykan and see if they will stand behind their product.

Hahaha....I have a nice tune from Hanso :) But I'm old and don't ride that fast!

I contacted Kuraykan but don't expect much as I purchased the ISO grips on August 3, 2015...they warranty for 1 year :( However. I'm shocked that a grip would fail in one year. Hate to say this, but I had my Harley for 4 years and purchased it used. Never had to change the grips.

My first Rocket III was a 2010 touring and the heated grip throttle broke while on the road. I made it back by zip tieing the pull cable only to the grip and pulling it directly for throttle. I was only 3 hours from home so that wasn't that bad.

I replaced it with Kuryakyn ISO grips and never looked back. I have had ISO grips on all my bikes and never had an issue with them.

My first Rocket III was a 2010 touring and the heated grip throttle broke while on the road. I made it back by zip tieing the pull cable only to the grip and pulling it directly for throttle. I was only 3 hours from home so that wasn't that bad.

I replaced it with Kuryakyn ISO grips and never looked back. I have had ISO grips on all my bikes and never had an issue with them.
Are the connecting points metal?

Remember guys, there should be some freeplay between the push and pull throttle cables. It's possible to tension the cables too much loading up that plastic link that seems to break.

I got non heated ISO grips now, and that said never had any problem with them on ANY bike. I have used Avon's too and found them durable.

A small piece of sheet metal and some JB Weld...the repair is more robust than the original...still going strong 50,000 miles later. I do have a brand new replacement in my front fork bag just in case.

Back