The King is dead - Long live the king?. (Geeky ATGATT stuff)

The kevlar is (basically, effectively) the exterior layer, but made in such a way it doesn't (meaningfully in the lifespan of riding gear) degrade in the sun.
Do you have any more detail how Motorport do this? - I ask as one of my info sources makes stuff in Dubai using both Aramids and Ultra-high-molecular-weight-polyethylene and he was very open about sun and aramids in that environment. It can be done - I know. Would need to be a close wound outer layer.

I was very taken with the concept of Motoport gear and to some extent I still am. But I am very low on "trust" when I cannot clearly understand how a company differentiates it's products from others. It comes from a lifetime of professional product positioning. I am wary when I have doubts.

To sell in the EU - you need to prove CE ratings now to be classified as "Protective" - Otherwise it is Fashion gear with "assistance". It will be soon (peer pressure) be necessary to publish the abrasion times to sell. I am not aware of many level 2 certifications yet. Loads of level 1.

Aramids - Aramid - Wikipedia (This includes Kevlar)
UHMWPE - Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene - Wikipedia (Includes Dyneema)

I have been trying on all my gear today. Yup - my neighbours must have wondered what was going on with me strutting about in the garden ATGATT in the sun.

Jackets - 3 leather - 2 Cordura 1 Leather/cordura mix.
Pants - 2 Leather - 2 Cordura - 1 partially aramid lined cotton

I honestly believe that leather still has an important future. Especially in STRONG sun.
It provides outstanding insulation from direct Solar radiation.

Boots and Gloves is more difficult for me to mentalise right now.

Gloves: For Track use - no doubts at all - Knox Handroid. Level 2. But they do look a bit odd.
Pretty much all my gloves have an Aramid component - though some (I have no doubt) would struggle to pas CE1.

Boots : I use hiking boots - I find most Biker boots either uncomfortable to walk in or simply overpriced: we shall see.

Do you have any more detail how Motorport do this?

Here's what I found on their mesh and stretch apparel page:

You may have also seen the pure woven Kevlar® Shirts. This is again a gimmick. Pure Kevlar® does not provide proper abrasion when used alone. The abrasion would be the similar to a long sleeve cotton shirt. If the Shirt is worn alone the Kevlar® material will degrade rapidly when exposed directly to UV rays. All the threads Made with Dupont™ Kevlar® Fiber in Motoport’s apparel are exposed on the inside only. To damage our apparel the gear would have to be turned inside out and hung in the sun for two months or more with the inner mesh lining cut out, to expose the inside.

It's been a long time since I shopped for gloves. Wasn't familiar with the Handroid. My best protectors are Held Phantoms (original model). Best I could find at the time. Love 'em. Materials include carbon fiber, kevlar, kangaroo, stingray. Luckily I haven't had to put them to the test, but I trust them. I've played the piano my entire life, so great gloves were near the very top of my gear list. Might have to take a closer look at the Knox gloves.

Boots are one area I never got dialed in. I bought some track boots, and definitely felt the most protected in them. I liked the ceramic wear plates so I didn't have to worry when I sometimes drag toes in a corner (gotta watch that in my work boots!) But I didn't get the sizing right and of course they have zero walking around use. I always had to bring other shoes, and with a size 15 they took up a lot of room in the saddlebags. So mostly I ended up with work boots, but never have felt very good about the lack of ankle bracing. I'll probably get into it again next year and find something new. My riding now is almost entirely out and back for a couple hours just to ride, so I may go with track boots again and pack a pair of sandals for impromptu stops… if I put the bags back on. Who knows.

Gloves: For Track use - no doubts at all - Knox Handroid. Level 2. But they do look a bit odd.
Pretty much all my gloves have an Aramid component - though some (I have no doubt) would struggle to pas CE1.

By Knox
Price: US$270.00
Knox MK3 Handroid Gloves

4 different Color versions
Knox MK3 Handroid Gloves
The Knox Handroid Glove is a multi-award winning glove with a striking, unique design and superior high quality. It is a fully CE certified sports glove. The new MKIII design has a fresh new design along with a revised finger construction to improve the fit and the sleek new Boa fastening system. The patented Exo skeletal flexible spines that cover the knuckles, fingers and thumb and give full unrestricted movement. These link to a comfortable gel lined Metapod that covers the back of the hand. On the palm the Dual Compound Scaphoid Protection System eliminates the grab effect that occurs when a leather palm makes contact with the road, reducing the risk of hyper extension which can be the cause of a broken scaphoid. This is enhanced by additional sliding systems on all sides which ensure that in the event of an accident the majority of contact with the ground are sliders and not leather. An additional inner cuff slider works to support and enhance the SPS sliding effect. The Handroid carries the most technical Knox Boa lacing system that allows precision adjustment around the whole cuff. The wrist system acts as an external brace and tightens the gauntlet equally from all sides. All you have to do is dial in the right torque for you. To release simply pull the dial. Putting gloves on and off has never been smarter or easier.

Key Features:
  • Knox Handroid flexible exoskeleton finger and knuckle sliders on all fingers and thumb
  • Improved finger construction for a super comfortable fit
  • Knox gel metapod that covers the back of the hand
  • Patented low profile Knox Scaphoid Protection System (SPS) on the palm to eliminate the grab effect that occurs when a leather palm makes contact with the road, reducing the risk of hyper extension which can be the cause of a broken scaphoid
  • Knox wrist slider
  • Knox cuff slider
  • “Dialled in” NEW Boa closure system for a superb fit on the wrist.
  • Kangaroo leather palm
  • Amara grip pad with silicon print for improved control
  • Japanese race quality drum dyed Aniline leather
  • Japanese polyester high tenacity thread
  • Superior fit and comfort
knox-mk3.jpg
knox-mk3-1.jpg

Back