The Harley Will Stay in the Family

I can see why she was happy with it, a very nice looking 883.
Got it bone stock, we agreed(rather I was told) that our bike upgrades would be on alternate years, with her bike first naturally. I put the adjustable windshield,engine guard,floor boards, relocated the tail lights, did the bags and put her father's leather fanny pack on it. She found someone local to stud the seat, then a couple summers ago I put screaming chicken slip ons for sound. Way easier to find aftermarket items for the 883 than for a rocket, but we were happy with how it turned out.

I been wanting to get a sportster for a while and for some reason never have, i am addicted to check craigslist every night and you guys are right, value is way down when it comes to Harleys in general, i can get an 04 to 08 fatboy for anywhere from 5 to 7k and i have seen 2013 sportsters as low as 3800. I remember back in the 90s you had to order them and never saw a sportster for less that 11k regardless of year!:eek:
Ya, I would say if you wanted a Sportster, they are as cheap as ever to get them now, and after market parts for personalization is very easy to find. C'mon, you need another bike in your stable....you don't have enough yet, just don't tell your wife, just say Happy Birthday Honey...I thought you wanted one, I'm sorry.:inlove

Ya, I would say if you wanted a Sportster, they are as cheap as ever to get them now, and after market parts for personalization is very easy to find. C'mon, you need another bike in your stable....you don't have enough yet, just don't tell your wife, just say Happy Birthday Honey...I thought you wanted one, I'm sorry.:inlove
great idea!!

Good you're keeping the Harley. I own 2 Sportsters, and recently checked around Craigs List for prices. It will make you cry. I have over $15,000 in one of them, and would be lucky to get $3000 now-a-days! Be better to fill the cylinders with oil, let the air outa the tires, put em up on blocks in some climate controlled storage bin, and maybe in 50 or 60 years, you might get your money back!

That is why I kept my America. Had way too much in it for what I could get. Plus is it nice having a bike that doesn't make me think as much as the Rocket does. It is amazing how much difference 300 pounds makes.

XWFY4597.jpg

Yup, NO resale value on a Sportster, its a nice enough bike though, I'm actually considering when the time comes to paint mine, I am leaning towards the same blood orange colour.

That is a beautiful bike. Glad you are keeping it in the family.

You should ride it also.

Last edited:
That really is a beautifully done Sporty and I know it has a very nice sentimental value. It is nice that you are keeping it in the family.

Back