The Brahma Drama...Aka Throttle Body Issue

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Brahma is home from the hospital. 3.5 weeks of not being ridden has taken an emotional toll on the stalwart though. He is happy to be on the road once more though but not yet back to full health. Here is the breakdown:

Last fall, I noticed that the idle was high even after riding for 30 minutes or more. This was not an every ride event though. I mentioned it to the folks at Motorcycles of Dulles (MOD) and they said they would check the stepper motor when I brought it in for the next check up.

When I brought it in for the 30K check, they did adjust the stepper motor with the computer and it seemed to be okay for a few days but the high idle came back. To give you an idea, in fourth gear I could cruise along at 40-45 MPH at idle. Absolutely no good when trying to slow down…

I took it back and MOD dug into the matter to found the stepper motor was simply worn out; I have 35K miles now and was a little upset that this would be the case. But why had it gone bad? It was dirty! Road grim is the culprit. After they replaced it, the idle dropped from 2600 RPM to 1300 but they still could not get it down to 800. More digging and they discover the same reason that the stepper failed, dirty road grim, is causing the throttle body mechanism that the stepper pushes to be worn out as well.

Michael, the service manager took it apart himself and gave it a deep cleaning but that is not the fix. He showed me the nylon spacer and the other components that have become worn down due to excessive road grim in the area. (Same reason my front bearings failed I hear).

Now, when first started, the stepper pushes the arm on the throttle bodies up to increase the idle speed, but when it returns to normal position, the throttle is still open in the high idle spot. I can manually reach in and pull on it quite hard and get it to come back down after holding it for a few seconds, but it will surge while stopped at stop lights and is far from good. The only fix they tell is to replace the whole throttle body unit as the worn parts are not offered separately. That is a cost of $2300!!!

I can’t afford that so I am riding it the way it is. They made me sign a statement that I declined the repair and warned me that continued riding in stop and go traffic will cause the engine to run hot and can damage the beast.

Do any of you know of a solution other than replacing the entire throttle body unit?

Hi Boog, that doesn't sound right to me. Under 30000 miles and wheel bearings go out because of road grime, never heard of that on a road bike if bearing spacer clearance was correct. Maybe dirt bike but not a road bike. And now your throttle body is worn out from road grime. Do you have some slack on pull side of your throttle cable allowing the butterflys to completely return to idle position.. Also have they checked the throttle position sensor adjustment. Somehow I think if they put a new throttle body on that the problem would persist. it hard to believe that various throttle parts have enough slop in them to cause this problem.

Ridefree

I feel for you, really, and I just don't believe MOD know what they're doing. With the reports of high-mileage Rockets on here . . . @warp9.9 ?

And you might consider next time using Manassas Honda Kawasaki Suzuki, where I take mine. I take it there with my manual, and they seem to know how to read it. If you need to, you may borrow my manual while it's there.

Last edited:
Count me as skeptical, too, I ride in salt and snow and road sand all winter. And with no bear claw, exposed throttle bodies.

Boog, a set of throttle bodies can be had on eBay for under $200, don't keep riding an injured bike, just buy a used set and use it for parts or swap the whole thing on.

IV had cars that had the same issue, I feel your pain, it's quite frustrating.

Manic, PM me a price and paypal and lets see if we can do business :p I am interested in a spare to get bored out and worked over for better flow.

my bike sets under car port and gets a lot of fine dust(sand) on it about 3 times mine has done the idle crap and every time i spray the linkage and stepper motor (running and off) that takes care of the problem. i assume that if they r at the proper setting that it should take care of yours.
htp herman

Back