Texas riders see introduction of lane splitting bills in House and Senate

State Rep. Sergio Munoz (D-Mission) and state Sen. Kirk Watson (D-Bastrop) have introduced bills supported by Texas motorcyclists that would legalize responsible lane splitting practices in the state. Munoz’ H.B. 813 would allow riders to split lanes at a speed no more than 5 mph faster than other vehicles if traffic is moving slower than 20 mph. This bill also requires riders who split lanes to wear a helmet.The second bill, Watson’s S.B. 442, would allow riders to split lanes at a speed no more than 5 mph faster than other vehicles if traffic is moving slower than 20 mph. However, S.B. 442 would limit lane splitting to limited-access or controlled-access highways. If you want lane splitting it's time to contact your representatives & ask them to support these bills. I disagree with the many riders who think lane splitting is safer. Yet I support making it legal.

Same thing is happening here in Washington State.
Studies have shown lane splitting to be much safer for motors!
Biggest reason is the rear ending of riders stopped in heavy traffic (ask @TOMCAT).
Years of toleration in California have proven the studies to be correct.
There will be limitations and controls as to speeds allowed (likely at or below 25 mph).
Lane splitting brings advantages for backed up traffic and for motors.
Check this out for references:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/resources-links

I my state it would be a death sentence....:eek: This happens here every day.

Very good video!
I have forwarded it to some powers that be (human factors gurus) doing research in this area.

So 8,000 lane slitting accidents is suggested to be LESS accidents than if you don't and you get rear ended instead ?

Well, Bill, your 8K comment says very little.
8K over what time period - what locations - roadway type - was unsafe speed involved - was it in other than the far left and adjacent lanes ? ? ?
Like anything else on a motor, IF DONE SAFELY . . . :rolleyes:

Hi Bull, I stated in my original post it was a 14 month study. It was recent data from 2013/2014. The report I read gave the exact time frame but I don't remember the exact dates. The news report didn't go into specifics of the accidents as it was focused more telling the story of California working on a bill to make legal. All the accidents studied were in California. With only that as my reference, 8,00 accidents just seams like a lot to me.

Hi Bull, I stated in my original post it was a 14 month study. It was recent data from 2013/2014. The report I read gave the exact time frame but I don't remember the exact dates. The news report didn't go into specifics of the accidents as it was focused more telling the story of California working on a bill to make legal. All the accidents studied were in California. With only that as my reference, 8,00 accidents just seams like a lot to me.

Not in CA with all its vehicles.
The references I have read in research report that most all are low speed, non injury, scratch and scrape type.
More serious rear enders of motors are severely reduced and traffic flow is improved.
I do reckon lane splitting would NOT suit all motor riders' comfort or skill levels and would be optional.
Based upon my personal and professional riding, training and experience - I be 100% for it to be legal WITH all the restraints of the current "Due Care & Caution" laws.

IMO, drivers and riders around the country are becoming much more cavalier, i.e., less safe and more careless when it comes to basic rules of the road (like signalling requirements and understanding/observing rights of way rules), so even though splitting can be practiced safely by responsible riders, it is the overall increase in inattentive and flippant people that we must share the road with that compel me to be against broadening the legalities in support of the practice. In plain English, I trust myself, but extend that confidence to no one else whom I might encounter on public or private roadways.

I fail to see where the danger is if you filter to the front of stationary traffic at the lights. Now on the other hand if we are talking about riding up the white line at 140kph or more between traffic travelling at 110kph on the Hyway that is asking for it and hasn't been legalised here in QLD. But filtering to the front at the lights or in peak hour has. 2 totally different things.

When I lived in Los Angeles actually Redondo Beach and worked in the valley with a one way trip of about 25miles if not for lane splitting I would still be in the traffic, as said lane splitting is not legal in CA it is just not illegal?????????? makes your head turn doesn't it.
Well Ca says that it is not illegal for two vehicles to pass each other in the same lane as long as it is done safely

Back