Texas riders see introduction of lane splitting bills in House and Senate

40mmrrsmith

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
State Rep. Sergio Munoz (D-Mission) and state Sen. Kirk Watson (D-Bastrop) have introduced bills supported by Texas motorcyclists that would legalize responsible lane splitting practices in the state. Munoz’ H.B. 813 would allow riders to split lanes at a speed no more than 5 mph faster than other vehicles if traffic is moving slower than 20 mph. This bill also requires riders who split lanes to wear a helmet.The second bill, Watson’s S.B. 442, would allow riders to split lanes at a speed no more than 5 mph faster than other vehicles if traffic is moving slower than 20 mph. However, S.B. 442 would limit lane splitting to limited-access or controlled-access highways. If you want lane splitting it's time to contact your representatives & ask them to support these bills. I disagree with the many riders who think lane splitting is safer. Yet I support making it legal.

Get your shovel and broom ready Texas. You'll be sweeping up more motorcycle riders and there motorcycles soon if this passes. :eek:

Please ride safe.

Get your shovel and broom ready Texas. You'll be sweeping up more motorcycle riders and there motorcycles soon if this passes. :eek:

Please ride safe.
This is a common misconception in the motorcycle world, all the studies and research show that IF and I mean IF lane splitting is performed legally and correctly it will reduce accident rates and reduce serious injury rates, most of the negative remarks come from people not familiar with lane splitting or have seen riders performing lane splitting incorrectly.
Now car drivers will really need to be educated on this subject as human nature does not like someone passing us when we cannot pass the vehicle in front of us.

I lane split daily, as it is legal here in CA. Yes you do take the chance of getting cutoff by a driver making unsafe lane changes when they see that gap next to them.

However by keeping my speed down and being observant I have avoided any collisions while lane splitting ( except for the occasional clipped mirror :) )

Most of the irresponsible lane splitting I see is by riders on sport bikes who weave in and out of traffic going too fast.

This is a common misconception in the motorcycle world, all the studies and research show that IF and I mean IF lane splitting is performed legally and correctly it will reduce accident rates and reduce serious injury rates, most of the negative remarks come from people not familiar with lane splitting or have seen riders performing lane splitting incorrectly.
Now car drivers will really need to be educated on this subject as human nature does not like someone passing us when we cannot pass the vehicle in front of us.

I'm not familiar with lane spitting; still I'm hesitant to embrace it for the exact reasons you list.

I think done correctly it could be a great thing.

But human nature being what it is I'm concerned about the reckless motorcyclists and reciprocal expectations of cagers.

We Americans aren't a very orderly sort.
I could see our roads devolving into one of those videos you see of Shanghai traffic.

The other outcome I don't like is a modified view of who "owns" a lane.
I prefer and try to maintain a "bubble" around me that other traffic shouldn't encroach on.
Even when another motorcycle is going to pass (at speed) in the same lane I expect some cues so that it can be done in a safe manner.
When lane splitting is done correctly it still gives the decision to "share" a lane to one individual. My concern is when joe cager decides he is just as good at deciding when it's safe to "share" part a lane with a bike.

I'm not against splitting; but I'm not convinced either.

Scott

I lane split daily, as it is legal here in CA. Yes you do take the chance of getting cutoff by a driver making unsafe lane changes when they see that gap next to them.

However by keeping my speed down and being observant I have avoided any collisions while lane splitting ( except for the occasional clipped mirror :) )

Most of the irresponsible lane splitting I see is by riders on sport bikes who weave in and out of traffic going too fast.

Hi Jim, I recently read a report based on a 14 month study in California. The conclusion was "Lane splitting is considered safe". BTW: lane splitting is not legal in California. It is just NOT illegal. I think the purpose of the study was so your state legislature could have a bill introduced to make it officially legal. Then put in place all the rules for doing it and the fines for doing it wrong.

The 14 month study researched 8,000 reported lane splitting accidents only. 8,000 in 14 months. That breaks down to 571 per month, or 132 per week, or 19 per day. For me just me, my opinion is 571 accidents per month says it is not safe. Yes I can see myself doing it in certain circumstances, but not the general rolling traffic jams. Maybe in stopped traffic at a light, then moving to the front.

Back