Testing some new headlight bulbs

ratsidecar

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Thought I would try some new headlight bulbs in my rocket as I wasnt impressed with the sickly yellow glow I had before. There are no mods to the lighting circuit on this bike (yet) other than an inline switch to cut power to the low beam so I can run with just sidelights on, power to the headlights is still running through the keyswitch.

I have used HID kits on bikes before and am not a fan of them, they give off too much glare to other road users and have a poor beam pattern in reflector lenses. So I went for a straightforward replacement. The bulbs I fitted are called philips whitevision, the same 60/55w power as the originals.They claim to put 60% more light on the road by being both brighter and by having the filament positioned differently to cast a longer beam pattern. The colour temperature is 4300 kelvin, philips claim the light output is around 40% whiter than regular bulbs. The glass has a blue tint to it with a whitish blue opaque coating on the end.
bulb.jpg

The package also included a pair of w5w 5w sidelight bulbs, the glass of these also has a blue tint to it and gives off a pleasingly white shade of light as seen below with just sidelights on. I have also played around with LED sidelight bulbs in the past but have always been disappointed as the light from them is just too directional and fails to light up the reflector properly, creating large angles from which it doesnt even look as if any lights are on.

WP_20170801_20_18_27_Pro.jpg

And with the headlights on, I have played with the camera to get a picture that shows the colour of the light output as closely as possible. They are significantly brighter and offer much improved vision at night than the stock bulbs, the downside being that they only have a rated lifespan of 450 hours, around half that of a regular bulb. Cost was £16 gbp or around 22usd for a package containing a pair of headlight bulbs and a pair of sidelight bulbs. It satisfies my desire for better lighting without all the HID kit hassle. It will be interesting to see if they improve even more whenever I get an eastern beaver headlight relay kit fitted.

WP_20170801_20_17_47_Pro.jpg

Thought I would try some new headlight bulbs in my rocket as I wasnt impressed with the sickly yellow glow I had before. There are no mods to the lighting circuit on this bike (yet) other than an inline switch to cut power to the low beam so I can run with just sidelights on, power to the headlights is still running through the keyswitch.

I have used HID kits on bikes before and am not a fan of them, they give off too much glare to other road users and have a poor beam pattern in reflector lenses. So I went for a straightforward replacement. The bulbs I fitted are called philips whitevision, the same 60/55w power as the originals.They claim to put 60% more light on the road by being both brighter and by having the filament positioned differently to cast a longer beam pattern. The colour temperature is 4300 kelvin, philips claim the light output is around 40% whiter than regular bulbs. The glass has a blue tint to it with a whitish blue opaque coating on the end.
bulb.jpg

The package also included a pair of w5w 5w sidelight bulbs, the glass of these also has a blue tint to it and gives off a pleasingly white shade of light as seen below with just sidelights on. I have also played around with LED sidelight bulbs in the past but have always been disappointed as the light from them is just too directional and fails to light up the reflector properly, creating large angles from which it doesnt even look as if any lights are on.

WP_20170801_20_18_27_Pro.jpg

And with the headlights on, I have played with the camera to get a picture that shows the colour of the light output as closely as possible. They are significantly brighter and offer much improved vision at night than the stock bulbs, the downside being that they only have a rated lifespan of 450 hours, around half that of a regular bulb. Cost was £16 gbp or around 22usd for a package containing a pair of headlight bulbs and a pair of sidelight bulbs. It satisfies my desire for better lighting without all the HID kit hassle. It will be interesting to see if they improve even more whenever I get an eastern beaver headlight relay kit fitted.

WP_20170801_20_17_47_Pro.jpg

You will find the EB kit will give you just a little more light since the power comes directly from the battery and not through the switch. My only questions about the new bulbs are... do they generate more heat than a standard bulb and will that become a problem down the road? The heat that some of the newer higher output bulbs create has been part of discussions in the past. I would consider replacing the bulb plugs with ceramic type connectors I have seen. Better than the plastic connectors on my bike.

I use those bulbs in my Land Rover. The Filaments do run hotter. ime they do not last as long as other bulbs - probably for this very reason.

This will happen even more if you do the H/L relay mods (though for the sake of the rest of the wiring - it should be done - I would ask @DEcosse about PDM60 based solutions before going Eastern Beaver now though.

The BIG issue with heat inside Triumph reflectors is that the silvering burns off - this is usually first visible on the section of reflector above the graves shield on the DIP filament.

If it were me - I would read the threads on here about some of the "budget" LED light units and maybe opt for those.
No that's misleading - I bit the bullet and got a pair of JW-Speaker Adaptive units.

I have a pair of Led H-Lights as aux lights on the Land Rover. Halogen is dead - long live the LED.

One of the first things I done on my bike many years ago and still working well. I also done the same to several cars. Cheap easy upgrade.

I use the Philips racing vision H4's and the white vision on the 5w sides and think they are a great improvement over a standard bulb
LED replacements look little out of place on a Rocket !

I've been running the Sylvania Ultra H4 bulbs for 4 years now. 50% brighter, and 35% wider field of vision. Been very satisfied with them.

You will find the EB kit will give you just a little more light since the power comes directly from the battery and not through the switch. My only questions about the new bulbs are... do they generate more heat than a standard bulb and will that become a problem down the road? The heat that some of the newer higher output bulbs create has been part of discussions in the past. I would consider replacing the bulb plugs with ceramic type connectors I have seen. Better than the plastic connectors on my bike.

I've been running the Sylvania Ultra H4 bulbs for 4 years now. 50% brighter, and 35% wider field of vision. Been very satisfied with them.

FWI - I ran those that you are running Steel & after a couple of months I started smelling "electrical burn" - couple days later the left lamp wouldn't work. Took it apart to find the plug connector that Bedifferent is referring to was burned/melted & created a short, due to the higher heat that the bulbs generated - I ended up going to Pep Boys and getting the ceramic plug ends and splicing them on. Worked fine Until I eventually ended up installing the Chinese knock off LED's WHICH WORK WONDERFULLY! $75.00 each - and they are plugged into the new ceramic sockets that were put in. :)

Back