TDSU or output shaft bearing problems

markc

Buckkwheat
Ride
07 r3 classic
To anyone who can answer this question.

I've been reading about output shaft bearing problems but not much about TDSU problems. I am beginnig to think that most of the bearing problems that have been discussed on this forum were probably TDSU problems. Looking on page 8.2 and page 8.5 & 8.6 of the manual, the output shaft of the BIKE is the Torsional damper shaft, not the trans. output shaft. I' seen actual pictures of a engine thats been split on this site. Need directions to those pictures and any info concerning this issue. Thanks in advance for your help. I hope to have my bike back by 9-21-07. Will have been in the shop for 17 days.

Markc

Last edited:
The photos are bigern's.

He gives detailed notes with each photo.

What Triumph calls the torsional damper shaft, bigern calls the output shaft. However in the manual there is an input and output shaft as well as the torsional damper shaft. So the question is does the torsional damper shaft not carry a load and just remove drive line slack OR is it the link between the tranny output shaft and the driveshaft OR are the dampers simply part of the output shaft???

piggr,

thanks for the info. It appears that the bearing problem everyone has talked about is actually a tds (torsional damper shaft) bearing problem. After looking at the pictures, it is apparent that it must be the tds unit bearing. For all those out there that have 07 rockets, this isn't a good sign. Triumph has not solved the bearing problem. No excuse for a bearing to fail at 4m miles.

Markc

bearing

Flip,

I don't know. I'll be seeing the bad tds unit on monday or tuesday of this week. I'll let everyone know what I find out. Lubrication problem or the wrong type of bearing.

Markc

Mark:

If you can, get the manufacturer of the bearing and the catalog number. It will be stamped on the outer diameter of the bearing or on the side shield. Both of those should be still intact because the bearing failure will be in the rollers or balls not the races. If you get that information, I can ascertain the load factors, relative maximum rpm's and the torsional load factor using the SKF manuals. They will also tell me if, indeed the contact area between the balls or rollers is substandard or not. The catalog number tells basically everything about the bearing.

bearings

Hard to find those nos. on cheap taiwan bearings...Jack No excuse for Triumph not having this figured out by now.Gonna happen on the 08 to?????

Last edited:
Jack:

Hard to find those nos. on cheap taiwan bearings...Jack No excuse for Triumph not having this figured out by now.Gonna happen on the 08 to?????

Jack:

All bearings no matter how inexpensive will have a catalog number on them that describes torsional load, contact area, expected life, shielding properties and other things.

I always thought you knew that being an atomic technician and all. Maybe you just emptied wastebaskets on base.........?

Taiwan is the name of a Country. Capitalize that. You also need a space between the period after 'now' and the slang 'Gonna'.....:D

Mark,

Going by your comments on this problem to date I'm guessing you have an engineering background so I may be telling my granny how to suck eggs, but I would be more interested in the manufacturer of the failed bearing than the bearing size, (as you are more or less stuck with the size)

If this bearing has failed because of its dubious quality rather than fitted the wrong way round and the dealer attempts to replace it with a Triumph supplied bearing I would ask them for the details of the new bearing and if it wasn't a SKF bearing I would ask them to use a SKF bearing even if it costs you for the bearing. Hopefully common sense would prevail and it wouldn't create any warranty voiding issues by not using the Triumph bearing. As Triumph are well aware of this problem is it too much too expect for them to be using decent quality bearings these days? or do they have to use locally supplied ones in Thailand???

SKF are the Cadillac of bearing manufacturers, as there quality is second too none. There are others that aren't too far behind, of mainly Japanese and European origin, but I strongly recommend you avoid bearings of Chinese or Russian origin, unless of course you want to repeat the exercise in the very near future, as the quality is abysmal.

With bearings you definitely get what you pay for!

Good luck with the fix, hope you are up and riding real soon
Tony

Jack:

All bearings no matter how inexpensive will have a catalog number on them that describes torsional load, contact area, expected life, shielding properties and other things.

I always thought you knew that being an atomic technician and all. Maybe you just emptied wastebaskets on base.........?

Taiwan is the name of a Country. Capitalize that. You also need a space between the period after 'now' and the slang 'Gonna'.....:D

We don't use taiwan bearings In the Nuke field..Thats Nukes not atoms.

Last edited:
Back