Stupidly easy parking brake trick

cr0ft

Living Legend
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
So, I got a "wheel roller" from Louis.eu a while back, so I could drive the bike onto it and rotate the rear wheel (cleaning etc) without hoisting the entire bike. That's a good little item in its own right, but what struck me with a "holy crap, how did I not think of that before?" thing was an accessory to that - a simple velcro band you wrap around the front brake lever and the handlebar to keep the bike from rolling.

Why didn't I think of that before? If I ever have to park or stop the bike on an incline, a simple velcro band worth nothing in the pocket can create an instant parking brake (just, you know, not when the front disc is very hot or it may take damage...)

Hi,i use one of those charity rubber bands that you get when you donate to things fits spot on and i keep it around the master cylinder they last for years you also know that you have contributed to a good cause and have helped someone.:)

Great idea!

I used to stabilize my Bonneville when jacking the rear up to lube the chain by wrapping a bungie cord around the handlebar and front brake lever.

Yeah it never occurred to me before, and it's such a ridiculously easy fix. In theory it should work fine to lock the rear wheel too if you have something to wrap the band around down there, on the R3T it should be doable.

Now you've got me thinking, a jack is a great idea for cleaning the wheels if you have a flat area to work on but apart from my cramped garage all areas are a bit er.... slopey. Evening sun is at the front of the house but living on a hill sitting out polishing wheels is tricky but the wheel roller (and charity band) sounds like a plan for summer evenings. Need to source the roller. Thanks for the idea.

Road warrior ,
m&p in the uk have them 30 pounds take a look in the workshop section sorry no link my tablet is not in a good mood this morning.

This is the one I got, and they ship within the EU certainly, not sure if it is economical further than that. http://www.louis.eu/_1059272cc78aadf7249368c5171334ead8/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10003270 - of course they may be possibly be found at sources closer.
The Velcro strap is a great idea, I never thought of that!, I have a Bike lift modified for the R3T just made longer arms to make it more stable to clean the back and front wheels ,a tip is to mark the balance points so I get it right every time.

Back