Old film negative trick

vindex1963

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Rocket 3, 2015 Victory Cross Country
My right front shock seal started leaking so I found an old 35mm negative and cut off the side perforations and made a slight angle cut across the top. The dust seal pops off easily then you push the negative up into the seal and circle it around the shock. I did that yesterday and went for a 160 mile ride and the leak stopped!! Old timer trick I know but maybe someone doesn't know. The film trick doesn't always work but it looks like this time it did.

Last edited:
I like my Nikon camera's but they are digital, I do have an old Sears film camera that takes nice shots.

And waaaay off topic, I have and still use a Canon A-1 35mm, my go-to camera Bronica GS-1 6x7 (have backs for it rarely used 6x6, and 6x4), and a Tachihara wood camera 4x5.

Fortunately, there are labs around that still do a decent job with processing, and the film business of Kodak was brought out of bankruptcy and film continues to be available.

I just got some rolls back from processing, and was showing the scans to my daughter, and I had such a feeling of satisfaction when at one point she said, "Nothing beats film".

They actually make a seal cleaning tool so you don't have to make one. Here are a couple that I spotted on Amazon.

1602353519395.png
1602353545310.png

And waaaay off topic, I have and still use a Canon A-1 35mm, my go-to camera Bronica GS-1 6x7 (have backs for it rarely used 6x6, and 6x4), and a Tachihara wood camera 4x5.

Fortunately, there are labs around that still do a decent job with processing, and the film business of Kodak was brought out of bankruptcy and film continues to be available.

I just got some rolls back from processing, and was showing the scans to my daughter, and I had such a feeling of satisfaction when at one point she said, "Nothing beats film".
Well, my Nikon D750 and it's resolution and low light performance is pretty hard to beat.

2 days before leaving for RAA West my left fork seal started leaking pretty bad. Puff out of nowhere. I have a set of fork seals on hand but really 2 days before departure. Buggers. I purchased a Sealmate a while back but could not find it to save my life. So I cut up a yogurt cup since it was small and very rounded. Worked very well. Went around 5 or 6 times on each fork. Pulled it out to wipe it clean after each pass. Plenty of fork oil oozed out but I just kept a cloth rag wrapped around the tube. Some of you may have noticed my "Ninja Bandannas" I had on my fork tubes at RAA. That is why they were there. In case the leak came back. Just want to report no leaks at all so far.

Back