andy62

Standard Bore
Ride
rocket 3 touring
My Rocket Touring has been sitting in the garage now untouched for about 8 weeks. I tried to start it and it gave just a single turn of the motor and that's it.
Battery seemed obvious culprit. One fully charged New Battery later and same problem. Any thoughts ?

Try the simple and cheap things first , Battery cables make sure they are tight and the earth cable is clean and making good contact with the frame .
I have a couple of earth straps on mine as its a common problem .

Try the simple and cheap things first , Battery cables make sure they are tight and the earth cable is clean and making good contact with the frame .
I have a couple of earth straps on mine as its a common problem .
Thanks for that Mr G, I'll check it

Thanks for your input Supercharged. It's bloomin' cold here at the mo so I'll check this stuff out over the next week

How cold is cold? The bike should start up no problems at least down to freezing temps. Any colder and you might have to heat the block (depends a lot on the viscosity and type of oil(synthetics are a lot better cold starting)). I tried to get my bike started last winter to put it in a trailer when it was -35C and all it would do was crank over 1/2 turn. I had to put a tarp over it and get the old hair dryer going for an hour before it started up with a boost.

You stated the first time you tried to start it, it cranked over 1 turn. What is it doing with a new battery? Does it have the same symptom as old battery? If cold weather isn't the issue, you need to put a voltmeter on the battery and tell us what the 'at rest' voltage is along with the voltage it drops to when cranking (or trying to). Just because you purchased a new battery doesn't mean it is good. You could try a boost from a car battery too to see if it turns over better.

Did you have any problems 8 weeks ago starting or did this just show up after the 2 month rest?

Thanks for your input Supercharged. It's bloomin' cold here at the mo so I'll check this stuff out over the next week
First things first ! Montreal welcomes you to the grp . Bienvenue ! Now for the serious stuff . Check all connections from battery + to starter & - to ground Make sure they are clean & tight.
Charge your battery with an old type 2 amp charger for 4 hrs max. Once a year I do not use an intelligent start I use old school charger . ( I got a full season of riding last season . Not sure why but I know it worked ) I've noticed for myself that a battery lasts for four 4 yrs . Better if you charger battery at least once a month . My 2 Canadian cents .

Hi chaps
Thanks for all of the above advice, when I said it was cold here I'm not even in the same ballpark as Canada, that's seriously cold . That said - Gregger suggested that my New fully charged battery might still need help from a boost. He was spot on.
As soon as I hooked up an extra battery it sprung straight into life. I'll start it every few days whilst winter lasts.
thanks again, andy

Hi chaps
Thanks for all of the above advice, when I said it was cold here I'm not even in the same ballpark as Canada, that's seriously cold . That said - Gregger suggested that my New fully charged battery might still need help from a boost. He was spot on.
As soon as I hooked up an extra battery it sprung straight into life. I'll start it every few days whilst winter lasts.
thanks again, andy
Andy
I have mine hooked up to an oxford oximiser 900 , it keeps the battery at optimum and does not harm the battery , Its good if you have power in your garage, second earth strap helps in starting the bike .

Back