Stalling while shifting from first to second.

Loanstar

.060 Over
I searched the forums to see if anyone had a similar issue but did not find anything specific that sounds like my problem. I see lots of "stalling" posts but most seem related to the ignition switch.

This has happened to me only twice now and teach time was a couple opf weeks apart.

After the bike has been sitting for a while I start it up, let it run for a minute or so and go to take off. As soon as I shift from first past neutral to second, the bike just softly stalls. Fortunately my clutch is in when this happens. It happened on a hot muggy day and on a cool day as well.

I'm stumped and a little concerned that it might be pointing to a more serious issue. I definitely do want this to happen while I'm cooking down the road.

2009 R3 Standard with D&D. I also have the EB Relay installed. The bike does not lose power as I can start it right back up on the fly. Everything else seems great about the bike.

Ideas?

Raise idle to 850 - 900

Clean crank angle sensor

Clean gear position sensor

Load latest known good tune

Check manifold pressure tubes for leaks/blockages.

Use correct fuel/oil

Reset throttle before start

Balance throttle bodies

Only owned my rocket for a week and a half, so can't speak directly from experience with the triumph brand. Though what you're describing sounds exactly like a previous issues I had with my old bike - turned out to be the tps / throttle position sensor. The dealer did a simple reset and cautioned me to ensure I had my hand off the throttle before I hit the kill switch. Apparently slight throttle input at shutdown caused a false zero from the tps and over time caused the same condition you're describing. Following the dealer's instructions, in two years I never had another problem.

Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Gary

Thanks for the list Gothlander.

Hey Gary, you know, I NEVER use the kill switch, but I have occasionally used the kick stand to stop the bike while in 1st gear. I wonder if that does the same thing.

Time to buy a netbook and get TuneECU I think.

Thanks for the list Gothlander.

Hey Gary, you know, I NEVER use the kill switch, but I have occasionally used the kick stand to stop the bike while in 1st gear. I wonder if that does the same thing.

Time to buy a netbook and get TuneECU I think.

:) I've killed the bike several times with the kickstand... My first bike with this feature. :)

Back