Sport comfort pillion length?

Hec4sc

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I’m debating whether to get an R or GT for my (wife’s) needs. What’s the sport comfort pillion length vs the GT pillion length?

Last edited:
My wife rode pillion with me only once on my R when I had just got it. She said 'never again,' but she is no spring chicken either. Those sexy passenger footpegs fold out 'widish' and are really small. And the biscuit passenger seat is narrow and hard - I cannot imagine myself being comfortable on it for long. That fitted on the GT is a bit better, I think. If you choose the R, wishing your wife to ride with you, you will need to get the optional backrest. And the R just does not completely look 'right' with it, IMHO, that is. Without a backrest, she will have to hang on to you all the time, which is unrealistic, unless you are both youngsters.

Also, consider a proper aftermarket seat with adequate passenger butt support - whether you get the R or the GT. Happy wife, happy life. The stock seat is OK if you ride alone and really well-made for a stock seat.

We ride together on an 1190 Adventure, GL1800 and Chief Vintage - all stock seats - but I installed a Mustang® seat on the Cross Country and a LePera® on the H-D Breakout. Backrests on all of them. I have a Rottweiler® Intake, RapidBike® fueler, Arrow® exhaust and Yoshimura® 'silencer' on the 1190, so it motors along when I twist its ear. Meaning that the wife is well used to speeding along, as long it happens comfortably (-:

I had a roadster and wife loved it but since I put a deposit for a new GT I'm looking to change two things ( if possible) for her to ride with me.
1. Better wider seat- hoping to get with time something like they make for a roadster. Full double seat
2. Taller backrest. Again I had one on a roadster and hoping to get one or get it custom made for GT. at the moment the one there looks quite short and I can not imagine it makes journeys much more comfortable.
And quite frankly I don't care how the taller one would look as long as shes comfy ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_105639.jpg
    IMG_20201227_105639.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 14
Agree, a more comfy pillion seat and higher / bigger backrest is essential for a happy wife!
Here's where I've got to regarding that with my conversion to a Light Tourer. I took the cover off the pillion seat and added a piece of 1 inch memory foam to the top of the existing foam. I also have modified the existing sissy bar to take a bigger back rest. I actually think it looks much better than the ridiculous stock back rest. We are yet to do a long run but so far she much prefers it.

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

P1140644.jpg

P1140646.jpg

Agree, a more comfy pillion seat and higher / bigger backrest is essential for a happy wife!
Here's where I've got to regarding that with my conversion to a Light Tourer. I took the cover off the pillion seat and added a piece of 1 inch memory foam to the top of the existing foam. I also have modified the existing sissy bar to take a bigger back rest. I actually think it looks much better than the ridiculous stock back rest. We are yet to do a long run but so far she much prefers it.

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

P1140644.jpg

P1140646.jpg
That looks nice. I am not sure if the back rest needs to be so big but definitely looks more comfortable than a stock one.
Is it as tall as stock one or taller? I mean did you need to extend bars/ support as well or is it's just a bigger pad?
Could you please post a picture from the side from a bit of a distance?
Would appreciate it.
Thank you

That looks nice. I am not sure if the back rest needs to be so big but definitely looks more comfortable than a stock one.
Is it as tall as stock one or taller? I mean did you need to extend bars/ support as well or is it's just a bigger pad?
Could you please post a picture from the side from a bit of a distance?
Would appreciate it.
Thank you
It's much bigger than stock as you can see from the pic, which is of course the point. It's a rider back rest I already had from my Thunderbird so I went with It. if I was making a new one I would have gone a bit small, but the wife really likes it so it will be staying. Sorry about the crap pic, but it's difficult getting a longer shot in the garage! When I finished all the changes I will post some better pics of the whole bike.
P1140647.jpg

It's much bigger than stock as you can see from the pic, which is of course the point. It's a rider back rest I already had from my Thunderbird so I went with It. if I was making a new one I would have gone a bit small, but the wife really likes it so it will be staying. Sorry about the crap pic, but it's difficult getting a longer shot in the garage! When I finished all the changes I will post some better pics of the whole bike.
P1140647.jpg
That looks good 👍

My wife rode pillion with me only once on my R when I had just got it. She said 'never again,' but she is no spring chicken either. Those sexy passenger footpegs fold out 'widish' and are really small. And the biscuit passenger seat is narrow and hard - I cannot imagine myself being comfortable on it for long. That fitted on the GT is a bit better, I think. If you choose the R, wishing your wife to ride with you, you will need to get the optional backrest. And the R just does not completely look 'right' with it, IMHO, that is. Without a backrest, she will have to hang on to you all the time, which is unrealistic, unless you are both youngsters.

Also, consider a proper aftermarket seat with adequate passenger butt support - whether you get the R or the GT. Happy wife, happy life. The stock seat is OK if you ride alone and really well-made for a stock seat.

We ride together on an 1190 Adventure, GL1800 and Chief Vintage - all stock seats - but I installed a Mustang® seat on the Cross Country and a LePera® on the H-D Breakout. Backrests on all of them. I have a Rottweiler® Intake, RapidBike® fueler, Arrow® exhaust and Yoshimura® 'silencer' on the 1190, so it motors along when I twist its ear. Meaning that the wife is well used to speeding along, as long it happens comfortably (-:
I plan on modifying the pillion pad of the R/GT or get a Corbin set up. I was wondering how much longer the R comfort pad is compared to the GT pad, which would allow for a larger seat if I were to have it widened.

P1140647.jpg
Comfort over asthetics is a win in the two-up department. Happy Wife... Happy Life... :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

I’m debating whether to get an R or GT for my (wife’s) needs. What’s the sport comfort pillion length vs the GT pillion length?
So I have the R and have also the GT seat. The pillion (standard and the 'comfort' sport option) on the R seats is about 1.5" longer than the GT pillion. This is because the R rider seat is more upright at the back and pushes the rider an inch or so more forward thus affording the pilion seat an extra 1.5" forward.
I went for rider comfort rather than pillion and have the GT seat, GT bars and R mid pegs as I wanted to put my weight more through my legs than my lumbar.

Back