Torque addict

Supercharged
Ride
'05 R3 w/Aerocharger turbo
Hi. I joined this forum about a year ago and have done a lot of lurking but have never posted until yesterday. I'm considering buying this bike. I've already started a thread about that here Still looking for any input regarding this potential purchase.

Just wanted to say hello. If I don't buy this Rocket it'll be another eventually. I have an '83 Honda Magna that's a good runner but basically a project bike. I have a beautifully newly painted gas tank to put back on it and the infamous 2nd gear issue to fix.

I also ride an '05 Yamaha Warrior with stage IV kit and a bunch of other goodies. It 's pretty quick but still does not have enough low end torque for me (note my user name). The only thing that's going to quench that is a Rocket or a V-8 motorcycle, which I can't envision owning anytime soon.

My wife rides an '05 250cc Honda Reflex scooter. The thing actually goes a GPS verified 70 MPH!

I test rode a Rocket last summer and knew I just had to have one. Hoping to still keep my Warrior. It's an awesome ride. I posted some pics in my profile.

Looking forward to being part of the discussions here once I buy a Rocket and meeting up for rides with anyone in the great Pacific Northwest.

Brent

for soon to be owner

hi Brent
i watched ebay for a long time and finaly found one for a good price in reno about 900 miles from tucson az. me and wife flew up bought the rocket III and drove it back to tucson. froze the first 600 miles and roasted the last 300. but it is something we will never
forget. i am 67 and my balance is not real good and the rocket being top heavy i have managed to let it fall over a few times.
good luck on finding a rocket.
herman

sorry mistake. should have said craigslist.

Last edited:
Brent:
That is a nice looking ride, but the asking price may be a bit high. We bought a '11 Roadster last summer for about that same $$$. Roadster had about 10K miles. If you buy, keep us updated on your impressions and how she behaves. Ride safe.

We trudge on.

Brent:
Disregard previous transmission. Did not catch the turbo, which adds considerable value (for those so inclined). Let us know how it goes.

We trudge on.

welcome brent !!! :d i remember picking up my new rocket in issaqua (i-90 motorsports) rode to lynnwood , then north to hwy 2(monroe) n heading back south on i-5 the infamous flippin' rain clouds at everett.... 2 inches standing water.. Good times!!!;) i digress... Lmao:d

Looking forward to being part of the discussions here once I buy a Rocket and meeting up for rides with anyone in the great Pacific Northwest.

Brent

Welcome from Louisiana.
Do your research before you pay for a used Rocket III. Ask the right questions about mods and upgrades.

i am 67 and my balance is not real good and the rocket being top heavy i have managed to let it fall over a few times.
good luck on finding a rocket.
herman QUOTE]

At your age you are allowed to drop it a few and smile. She is a heavy beast. :D

Hi. I joined this forum about a year ago and have done a lot of lurking but have never posted until yesterday. I'm considering buying this bike. I've already started a thread about that here Still looking for any input regarding this potential purchase.

Just wanted to say hello. If I don't buy this Rocket it'll be another eventually. I have an '83 Honda Magna that's a good runner but basically a project bike. I have a beautifully newly painted gas tank to put back on it and the infamous 2nd gear issue to fix.

I also ride an '05 Yamaha Warrior with stage IV kit and a bunch of other goodies. It 's pretty quick but still does not have enough low end torque for me (note my user name). The only thing that's going to quench that is a Rocket or a V-8 motorcycle, which I can't envision owning anytime soon.

My wife rides an '05 250cc Honda Reflex scooter. The thing actually goes a GPS verified 70 MPH!

I test rode a Rocket last summer and knew I just had to have one. Hoping to still keep my Warrior. It's an awesome ride. I posted some pics in my profile.

Brent

I have some experience with early V65 trannys. The up-grade replaces 1st 2nd and 3rd gears as i recall. Your basically just buying the gears they started putting in the 1985 models. Same gear ratios just less (but heavier) teeth. One thing to remember, you have to buy the little collars that fit inside the new gears. The old ones won't fit in the new gears. I ordered all the stuff to do one for a guy. Had his bike a ripped down then found out I couldn't use the old collars. Had to wait another week for those to come in.
If your not sure what I'm talking about I can post a pic of the collar. One thing I can tell you is once you do the upgrade you can beat that tranny like a rented mule and you won't break it again. I know cause my crazy riding buddy Lawrence had his fixed and I've never seen anybody abuse a motorcycle the way he can !

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I am buying the Rocket I mentioned in the other thread I linked to. Will probably pick it up in 2 or 3 weeks. After speaking with the shop that just tuned it and put a new clutch in I'm convinced it's set up properly and will be awesome.

Rocket Scientist, I have a whole used "like new" tranny for the Magna. Gears, forks and shift drum should be a direct swap. Guys on the V4 forum I'm on have posted how to do it without splitting the case. That's what I'm gonna do. Going to sell it immediately after fixing it.

CAUTION!!! Rockets are addictive, and according to my spouse expensive. I'm sure she's referring to the fact that I can't leave well enough alone with anything but continually have to tinker with stuff to make it my own, but one never knows. Good luck with the new ride

Back