Son of the Mad Dog; Three Sisters Advice

I still think that as slow as he went into the curve, it was target fixation.
Agree, i wTched the entire thing unfold, he was going fearly slow and that was not a sharp curve, more like a sweep, but my heart skipped a few beats

Target fixation - especially bad for first time riders of a scenic area or people just starting to run in groups
Target Fixation: A Case Study | Corner Carving

Why you can't make u-turn cause you look at the curb you want to miss

I slightly disagree with this analysis.
The rider (red jacket) in front of the cameraman greased it, moving onto the center line, to pass the rider in front of him. Red was focused on his pass and not the rigjt hander he was about to enter. Red entered the curve too hot and by the time (perception-response) he reacted, he chose to brake rather than lean and went way wide (even though he had plenty lean angle he coulda/shoulda used. His hard braking kept him upright and straigt. He was fortunate to have the distance to slow enough to regain control and avoid the guard rail.
Now the camera rider. He, focused on all the actions of Red and he also was surprised by the curve. He was a far less skilled riderthan Red and by the time he reacted, he froze and rode straight into the guard rail.

I slightly disagree with this analysis.
The rider (red jacket) in front of the cameraman greased it, moving onto the center line, to pass the rider in front of him. Red was focused on his pass and not the rigjt hander he was about to enter. Red entered the curve too hot and by the time (perception-response) he reacted, he chose to brake rather than lean and went way wide (even though he had plenty lean angle he coulda/shoulda used. His hard braking kept him upright and straigt. He was fortunate to have the distance to slow enough to regain control and avoid the guard rail.
Now the camera rider. He, focused on all the actions of Red and he also was surprised by the curve. He was a far less skilled riderthan Red and by the time he reacted, he froze and rode straight into the guard rail.
I agree about the red rider, but camera rider was stuck looking at red rider and went the same directions but unfortunately camera rider didn't have a perception eureka moment and/or skill to avoid the guard rail, Kinda like Ron White in the drunk in public skit where he said "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

I agree about the red rider, but camera rider was stuck looking at red rider and went the same directions but unfortunately camera rider didn't have a perception eureka moment and/or skill to avoid the guard rail, Kinda like Ron White in the drunk in public skit where he said "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

The camera rider was indeed focused on the red rider instead of the roadway, as I stated, but he did not follow the same path as the red rider.
Camera rider exited the roadway earlier and failed at taking any attempt to try to turn and evade the guard rail.
Great teaching video, thanks for sharing and I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
In this case, considering he struck the guard rail, camera man's lack of skill was a factor in having minor injuries.
Depending on his speed, the curve radius, and road surface friction had he went down prior to striking the guard tail, his injuries would have been way more serious.
I had a friend enter a lefty too hot on his Valkyrie. He leaned deep, lost traction and seperated from his motor. Although in a full face helmet, his impact into the guard rail broke his neck and caused brain damage. He survived, is now functional, but far from what he was.

Rick,
Better to approach a lefty from the fog line or right wheel track and apex near the center line.
Controlling the throttle of our torgue monsters in a twisty is very difficult for me.

Always control and set your entry speed into a curve on how far ahead you can see approaching vehicles - NOT on the curve's critical speed.

If you did that in the twisties, you would be going 15mph. Everyone is taking a leap of faith and enter turns in which you eat whatever is in front of you. There's no stopping room.

Neither rider should have had any issues with the speed approaching the corner entry, heavy brakes when you realize you missed the 20mph limit sharp right turn sign. Trail off the front and pitch it into the corner while shifting all possible body weight inwards, release brakes just shy apex, throttle out like a hero.

No reason for either lane departure other than rider confidence and skill.

Riding out of comfort and skill zone #1 cause of motorcycle crashes.

Last edited:
Back