Something leaking

We use to be behind on those things once upon a time but now everything is Euro something or another.

I would move here,Max's world sounds more appealing than when the apes takeover in the USA and start doing lobotomies on humans.:D
Always liked the way OZ looked on TV and movies, reminded me of Oklahoma but with water and crocs.. :) (and the accent was easier to understand) LOL

I didn't know emission controls were that prevalent there yet, at least you didn't have to go through the airpump nightmares we did in the 70's and 80's. The newer systems aren't the power robbers they used to be.

If you remove the left side cover, you will either have a large cylindrical plastic thing that fills the space or not. If you do, then you have the evap canister that is filled with charcoal. If not, then you don't. Most U.S. bound Rockets did not have this canister unless the destination was California. This, of course, didn't always work out. Some "California" models ended up at dealers in other states.

My 2006 Std didn't have one but my brother's 2006 Std did.

If the drop is clear and oily, I would bet on the gas expansion issue. Between the time you drive to work in the morning and lunchtime is also the time of greatest temperature rise in the day (for the most part). Also, the hot engine at shutdown is vaporizing gas into the overflow tubes which then condenses back to fluid in the tube (think glass of ice water sitting in the sun). The condensation reaches a point where there is enough fluid volume to result in a drop out the end of the tube. The lunch to quitting time period does not have the same source of engine heat to vaporize the gas and the cool down effect of the cold tube to cause fluid build up, hence, no drops in the afternoon.

did that make sense? :confused:

Always liked the way OZ looked on TV and movies, reminded me of Oklahoma but with water and crocs.. :) (and the accent was easier to understand) LOL

Ive never heard it compared with Oklahoma before lol. Oz is really about 2/3rds desert,or close to it.

I didn't know emission controls were that prevalent there yet, at least you didn't have to go through the airpump nightmares we did in the 70's and 80's. The newer systems aren't the power robbers they used to be.

We were lucky we didnt get the air pumps. Ive had a lot of contact with american landcruiser owners who had air pumps on their landcruisers made in the 80s.
Awful systems when they get old and get vac leaks.:mad:
Our 4wds and trucks were basically exempt from all but the simplest of anti pollution equipment until recently.:rolleyes:
Newer systems are cleaner and more powerful than anything we saw 20 years ago.

Err yes we had some nightmare systems here some cars(Honda's) had air pumps some had more rubber tubbinig and other crap it got that way you near had a send a search party to find the engine.

Zim there were some Rocket bought out with the cats but My 08 didn't

Err yes we had some nightmare systems here some cars(Honda's) had air pumps some had more rubber tubbinig and other crap it got that way you near had a send a search party to find the engine.

Do you think it was as bad here as what the americans had to suffer?
I only looked at Holdens in them days and they only had the auto choke and evap canisters and fuel cut solenoid from memory ,the HJ was the 1st model.
The american landcruisers had at least 50 separate pieces of vac hose:eek:

Zim there were some Rocket bought out with the cats but My 08 didn't
I havent looked at the mysterious heavy lump in the box yet,must do it tomorrow.
Mine was built around may 08.

Oy, my R3T is really testing me! Went out for a nice ride with 9 other bikes this past weekend. I met up with everyone in Temecula and proceeded to the desert (Borrego Springs) from there. Less than a 200-mile ride round-trip.

First issue: At the gas station where we all met, a Harley rider had to inform me that my Rocket was leaking. :mad:What?! Of all people, a friggin' Hog rider... Anyhow, it turned out to be a fresh (bright green) coolant leak coming from one of the 3 hex bolts on the pump cover. I tightened it, but we'll see. I have a chrome cover I've been meaning to install, so maybe now is a good time. I smelled coolant during the entire ride...

Second issue: On arriving to Borrego Springs, my bike decided not to start back up when leaving a service station. :eek:It appeared to be electrical so I checked the usual suspects -- fuses, loose wires, battery. Looks like I had a dead or dying battery. I jump started it off a Goldwing (what is going on in this world if a Harley guy tells me MY bike is leaking and a friggin' Goldie has to jump start me?).

Anyhow, I got home (100 miles of worrying) and turned the bike off; it would not turn over after immediately trying to restart it. No biggie, if it turns out to be the battery, I need a new one anyhow as this is the stock one.

I took the BMW for a planned ride to Julian over the Sunrise Highway (S-2) the next day. Too bad, as I love rolling thru Julian with my Rocket!:cool:

Bought and installed the Scorpion battery. So, it was a $100 fix and the bike is running stronger than ever. No biggie, as battery replacement (every few years) is just an accepted part of bike maintenance. I'll keep it on a battery tender.

Ah, the continuing saga of a very bad bike...

I still love her, even though she treats me bad.;)

I had a leak driving me nuts for about 4 months and just figured it out last week. It was clear and oily, but would disapate into the concrete on the garage floor. Turned out to be coolant that leaked out of the 14mm hex plug on the right rear of the engine block, right in front of the triangular shroud. Took me the better part of a day to track down that hex key and about 10 seconds to give it a couple of good wacks to tighten it!:D I was under that bike with a mirror forever trying to figure it out and the way it sneeked around to drip where it did really suprised me.
Hope you get it solved.

at least it was the battery nothing serious at least u expect to change the battery at some point in time like tires

Back