Sitting for 2+ years

Black Phantom

.020 Over
Hi all,

I have an 07 Rocket that I haven't touched since Spring of 12, it has been sitting on the lift ever since. I have two options now, sell it, or start riding it, and I'm going with option 2 for now. I plan to start putting it back together, biggest is missing tailights, and blown fork seals. The question is should I just change the oil now or should I start the bike, let it idle for a while then change the oil? The coolant level looks good but should I consider changing that as well? I will also need to get the old gas out and put some fresh gas in. Am I missing anything?

Thank you
Yousef

I would do at least the oil, oil filter and fuel and fuel filter. It really depends on how many miles you have on the oil in the bike now I guess.
Whatever you do - I would crank if over for a bit to get the oil around the engine prior to firing it up.

I agree with Mittzy about the oil its cheap. As for the rest well if you do not have a full tank of gas I would just go buy some 107 or 110 race gas from the local station. Around here BP sells the 110 and the local shell sells the 107 it will take care of the old gas. Or you can always siphon as much out as you can and then add a 50/50 mix of 89 and 107 it won't hurt it. Changing the fuel filter can be difficult to some it depends on your wrenching skills. If your going to do it then I would not worry about the race gas just run soem premium the first tank and go back to 89. As for the seals mine has developed a leak in one of them since its been sitting around for a year while my broken back has been healing. I plan on just adding a little oil to it and ride a bit to see if it lubes up and seals then go from there if it doesn't stop I will change them out with the extra set i have and off to traxion dynamics with the leaky set for some cartridges and adjustable rebound dampening.
Ive been told they will leak from just sitting around but riding them will make things right. I am not sure but it does not cost much to try. Check you differential box and in fact if you have never lubricated the rear drive shaft spline nows a good time to do it while its on the lift. Honda Molly60 or Molykote will be good. check the tire pressures before you go for a spin and stay close to home while your testing her out.

Perfect, thanks for the replies.

The bike has 27K miles on it so I figured it won't hurt to change the seals, I already have the seals, and its $85 in labor so why not. I've got about 3K miles on the oil but i will change it anyways. Best part is this bike still cranks even tho it sat for over two years w/o a charger, where my Streetfighter battery will die after a week or two. I love this bike and my wife doesn't want me to sell it as we went on our first date on it, I'm sure when I start riding it I'll get hooked and keep it. The front tire doesn't even have 500 miles on it, but the rear is gone so I need a new one. Need to search the forum to see if we any other options or still stuck with the Metzeler.

Last edited:
Go with the he Bridgestone exedra max - slightly higher in profile but a much better tyre IMHO.

Hello Phantom,
I used to live in Higlands Ranch on Larksparrow Trail just off of Colorado and south of 470.

Good luck on bringing your beast abck to life!

Hello Phantom,
I used to live in Higlands Ranch on Larksparrow Trail just off of Colorado and south of 470.

Good luck on bringing your beast abck to life!

That's crazy, I live on Cresthill which is one street over.

I have been living in HR for 17 years now and I was one of the traffic engineers here as well. I'm so over it and can't wait to get out of here.

That's crazy, I live on Cresthill which is one street over.

I have been living in HR for 17 years now and I was one of the traffic engineers here as well. I'm so over it and can't wait to get out of here.

AND . . .
Do not forget to head west for Montrose this June!!!

Yep the Exedra Max is the way to go best tire I have run yet and my bike eats tires fast if I want 3400 miles on the Avon amd Metz but I suspect if I was hard on it the Exedra would take 5 to 6 thousand miles before she is gone. Of course this is me doing burn outs and running into a slippage problem at high boost :D

Back