should i remove the secondary butterflies?

El Bruto

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 2005/6 modifed!!!!
Ive changed the intake to 3 pod filters, straight through single exhausts (x3), and have already had it mapped to remove the limiters... But not removed the secondary's, which I have read a little about on here..

Should I remove them, if so.. is it easy to do?
The bike is currently in bits with the intakes removed, so now would be a good time if its the right thing to do... What will it do for the performance?

Should also add that I'm saving up for a PCV and Autotune and Hans0 has kindly said he would help with a tuneECU map... The exhaust are a little extreme to say the least.. not looking for top end speed, but a real quick getaway would be nice..

Most people do. I did. They're very easy to remove. But I recommend using a magnetic screwdriver. They're held in by little screws that you really don't want to drop into your engine.

so with the filters off... I assume its the first set I see.. not the ones closest to cylinder?
What effect does this have on fuelling?.. I'm already concerned about it running lean due to the extreme filters and exhaust.. Although Hans0 has said a PCV and autotune will sort this..

Yes the first set. Not sure how it affects fueling, but I recommend getting map designed for close to your set up before riding much.

ok.. thanks for your replies... The engine is in bits at the moment.. crank case split to do the 2nd gear mod and a few others after a recommendation from Warp.. All because the gear shifter bolt came loose!!

I'm no mechanic, but I do have a knack of being able to take things apart and re-assemble them.. Am I scared.. HELL YEAH!!!!
But I'm sure the great advise on this site will get motor back together without any bits left in the pot

Why not just drop a tune into the ECU to open them up all the time, it is really all you need. No need to take them out and risk losing them or dropping stuff where you don't want it to go. Or just be very careful when removing the little screws. ;)

bob

Since you can open the secondaries 100% with tuneecu, there's no point in removing them. Since you have the pods and performance exhaust, any stock tune will run lean. Before you get the PCV, make sure you have a base tune in there with the secondaries open.

The throttle bodies flow more with them 100% open than with them removed. Unless you remove the shafts too. Just program wide open.

Back