Seized rear caliper, boiling brake fluid

Rear brakes are great for scrubbing speed before entering corners when you don't want the front to dive.
yes that is also very true should have mentioned it as well but I rarely come in a turn over my max speed minus 20% that is my pucker factor!! also whenever I go for a ride I always squeeze the front brake handle several times just so!! I know if pressure is there

Before buying the Rocket X, I had read in a lot of reviews of 2014 having this same problem. Almost kept me away from buying the bike. I have no idea if Truimph made any changes but have not read anything about the 2015 or later having this issue. I have noticed that the rear rotor seems to run hot after hard braking where the front rotor is a lot cooling. Actually took the bike out and deliberately overloaded the braking to see what happens with rotors and heat. Not exactly a scientific test but it does raise a few questions.

I remove the calipers and pads , clean the caliper with brake cleaner and then remove the pistons . Carefully remove the piston seals from their grooves , clean the grooves , check the seals , clean the pistons and then after washing these parts in clean brake fluid reassemble . Refill the reservoir and bleed the caliper . This does not affect the ABS unless you intend to bleed the whole system of fluid . Then you will need the code setter or I'm guessing tune ecu or similar to open and close the ABS valves ! I know it sounds anal and many would never bother but with only two wheels I will never again take motorcycle brakes for granted !
That's an impressive routine of preventative maintenance! I love my 2013 Roadster but if I had to be that meticulous with any motorcycle to keep it from failing, I'd sell it in a heart beat. That goes for the gearbox and drive train too. I read all these reports with some trepidation and hope it doesn't happen to mine or anyone else's but if it does, it's out the door and I'll get something that's mechanically designed properly.

Last night I was cruising home from the Long Beach Int'l Motorcycle Show and my Rocket must've gotten jealous of me looking at other bikes. While hitting a little traffic on the freeway, I pulled in the clutch and noticed the bike decelerating more than normal. Front brake seems fine. Rear brake pedal won't budge - won't go down or up. I look back and my rear rotor is blazing red hot. I pulled over and saw brake fluid dripping down from the rear master cylinder. It eventually cooled and released so I could drive home but I had no rear brakes.

This morning I'm checking out the situation and the rotor is wavy and damaged, one piston in the caliper looks seized, pads have been obliterated (I change them every 5,000 miles with every rear tire change), the caliper even looks a different color, and there's still brake fluid dripping from the rear master cylinder. WTF could've happened? The bike is 21 months old with 20,800 miles, and was just about to get the 20,000 mile service.

20161120_122904.jpg

20161120_122914.jpg

20161120_123108.jpg

20161120_122954.jpg
I would not rebuild any of that stuff! Scrap it and get everything new, calipers too!

Fair point @mully95 .
Too much coffee maybe ? Apologies for offending you !

I didn't mean that it offended me or anything. I was trying to come up with a answer for all the 2014s that seem to be breaking down recently.

I'm thinking the transition port in the brake cylinder was still covered and would not release pressure. Like what happened to RKTNMYPKT. For whatever reason.... adjustment, pressure being applied to brake pedal,,,, I bet it won't happen again.

hope it doesn't happen to mine or anyone else's but if it does, it's out the door and I'll get something that's mechanically designed properly.

I'm right with you on this. I've always been of the mindset that if something becomes more hassle than fun, it goes away and something else replaces it. Quite possibly why i am on my second marriage.

That's an impressive routine of preventative maintenance! I love my 2013 Roadster but if I had to be that meticulous with any motorcycle to keep it from failing, I'd sell it in a heart beat. That goes for the gearbox and drive train too. I read all these reports with some trepidation and hope it doesn't happen to mine or anyone else's but if it does, it's out the door and I'll get something that's mechanically designed properly.
I didn't mean that it offended me or anything. I was trying to come up with a answer for all the 2014s that seem to be breaking down recently.

I'm thinking the transition port in the brake cylinder was still covered and would not release pressure. Like what happened to RKTNMYPKT. For whatever reason.... adjustment, pressure being applied to brake pedal,,,, I bet it won't happen again.
Thanks @ mully95 , now I have you in context I fully understand what you mean .
My post was based on previous experience with another manufacturer , I certainly do not profess to be a triumph technician by any means and any knowledge I have about the R3 has been gained mainly from you guys and a couple years living with my own ! In hindsight , the problem mentioned was probably caused by bad adjustment , as you mention and I did touch on that in my post .
As for stripping my own calipers , I do this mainly because of a harrowing experience with calipers in the past , but also because I don't find it a difficult job to do . I did mention I was being anal , I am about my whole bike be it brakes , stem adjustment , tire pressures or any other maintenance I would call routine . Living in England my roadster spends a lot of the winter laid up , so I do confess to having the time to do these things so I know the bike is ready and tip top for the next season . I cannot afford dealer prices so I do all the work myself and enjoy it . Be it a failed gearbox , not yet touch wood ! Or a failed caliper . I do not suggest any design flaws of the R3 whatsoever , especially on a 2014 model . Mine is a very mint 2010 . Sorry for any confusion caused ! :x3: :):)

Back