Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I just had some warranty work done again. This is the second gear position sensor ( GPS ) that has needed replacing. I have 22,665 miles on the bike. Anyone else see the GPS as an issue?

On another note, the ride out to Triumph Manassas was great!

Last edited:
I just had some warranty work done again. This is the second gear position sensor ( GPS ) that has ended replaced. I have 22,665 miles on the bike. Anyone else see the GPS as an issue?

On another note, the ride out to Triumph Manassas was great!

OMG...22,665 on a 2014 R3T..what the heck have you been doing. Do you ever get off that thing? Back on topic...I bought my new 2013 R3T (it was a new model the dealer hadn't sold) this past September and had problems with the GPS almost from the get go. It wouldn't detect neutral from second and wouldn't read neutral from first about 40% of the time. It even threw a code. I took it back to the dealer where they tested it, cleaned it and put it back in. I even demonstrated to the service department before taking it back home how it was acting up, but they said they couldn't replace it under warranty because it tested Ok. I finally had to get on a writing campaign with Triumph customer service (they were very responsive and helpful by the way) to get the dealer to replace it. They took their high ole time in getting the part I might add. Total BS and response from the dealer about the issue. They even told me it was normal not to work from second to neutral and that it should only work when going from first to neutral. Anyway, what little bit I have used it since being replaced, it seems to be working. Of course, now that I have tied my HealTech GIPro into it, they probably won't replace it again under warranty unless I undo everything if I have a problem. I bought a 6 year warranty, but it looks I'll be buying that part out of pocket in the future. Over $90 a pop. Sucks being me!

I bought a 6 year warranty

Well, the warranty once past Triumph's warranty isn't so much a warranty as it is insurance. Triumph wants to take care of you during warranty because not doing so can cause a stink that affects sales. Insurers, however, want you to die in a fire if you ever need to claim money... they're in the business of charging you, not reimbursing you. Just the nature of the beast.

So far no issues with my sensor over here.

mines been fine so far but did have a long conversion with Brad from corp in GA about it jumping out of 2nd he said they know it does it but they have no fix for it it did it on my 2012 and now on the 14 not all the time but enough to piss ya off

Well, the warranty once past Triumph's warranty isn't so much a warranty as it is insurance. Triumph wants to take care of you during warranty because not doing so can cause a stink that affects sales. Insurers, however, want you to die in a fire if you ever need to claim money... they're in the business of charging you, not reimbursing you. Just the nature of the beast.

So far no issues with my sensor over here.

Ok....So I have a year and a half left on my factory's warranty and 4 years additional left on my insurance. It's suppose to be a permanent part of my VIN number record and let's just hope it's better than the paper it is written on. One never knows until he needs it. Just trying to cover my ass on something really major.

Last edited:
mines been fine so far but did have a long conversion with Brad from corp in GA about it jumping out of 2nd he said they know it does it but they have no fix for it it did it on my 2012 and now on the 14 not all the time but enough to piss ya off

Well I haven't had that happen yet, but I did notice an issue with it jumping out of first. I figured out early on that it was important to pop it into first as soon as I pulled the clutch in while things were still spinning....that solved that problem. Each bike has it's quirks and I've had enough bikes to know all about that. No problems since.

Back