installation of GPS and utility power

Kurt Straumoey

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3
Hi
I'm a new owner of 2005 R3. I want to install power for GPS and utility power. I understand it shall be hooked up via Fuse no 1. is there an easy way to hook this up?

Best regards¨
Kurt

I would use an auxiliary power block like the Eastern Beaver PC8 or similar. Take power straight from battery either switched or unswitched

There's a spot ahead of the left side cover that's set up for an aux plug. I spliced into that, then ran it up under the tank and followed the wires along the handlebar to a waterproofed plug that terminates right under the handlebar mount to keep everything looking clean.

I extended the power cable from my Battery Tender to the handlebars. It includes its own fuse and Battery Tender makes a usb adapter.

I use a Garmin Zumo hooked into the (i think) Aux plug circuit in the main harness so it turns on and off with ignition. If its hooked straight to battery it will drain whilst standing.
@DEcosse should be the best to advise here. Look at your wiring diagram, GPS doesn't draw enough to put fuses under pressure .... even though I left its own in line fuse in place just in case. The Garmin has a dedicated mount that has a cover on it when not in use. I also have USB ports where the ignition switch used to be as I have Decosse keyless, I use this USB plug for my phone. Bluetooth phone to GPS which in turn should Bluetooth to Helmet. Music and instructions. Life can be so much easier with a bit of fiddling about ...... just study the wiring diagram.
I also run an '05 .... it seems that Triumph put a lot into the early harness that got used on later models so there are plenty of pick up points.

Last edited:
Back