SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CHECK SHEET - 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust

Does the RIII need a 10K(mile) or 20K(mile) Valve clearances - check/adjust

• Total voters
RPM was willing to stay late or whatever they they cold do to get a tire to me after I was towed to Eurosport and they didn't have the tire at closing time. Two months later I'm in Dallas looking to buy a Valkyrie. The Valkyrie was not up to the standards I was looking for. I decided to look around for one since I'm in the area. End up at RPM, no Valkyrie. But they had a 05 R3 w/1200 miles in like new condition. I went home, called them a week later, bought it over the phone, never even heard it run. When I went to pick it up I realized it's the same dealer that offered to help me with the tire. I had a great experience with RPM.

The pic I snapped when I first saw the Red Bull
IMG_20141126_142418141.jpg

Beautiful!!!!

I never cease to be amazed at how so many motorcycle owners these days don't know how to work on their bikes. I guess I'm old school. WhenI started riding, it was unheard of for a bike owner to have someone else work on his bike unless it was warranty work. I've run into bikers who play the "bad-ass" role on their HD's only to learn that they don't even know how to change their oil!! I'm not kidding. Bikes are more complex these days but that's ridiculous. It might have something to do with the price of motorcycles these days. People who can afford them are often wealthy - dentists and lawyers playing Sons of Anarchy on the weekend. :) At this point in my life, money isn't an issue but I still do all my own work because that's the only way I know it's done right. It's also just the satisfaction.
I agree 100%. On the other hand I is one of those IMG_0063.JPG well maybe not 2010 Fatboy 87.000 miles and never seen a shop but once for primary seals (Under warranty) This one ain't been in a shop yet other than a bike tire and they screwed that up. IMG_0014.JPG Ain't a Doctor or Lawyer as such just a **** good welder. (Aircraft Military F.A.A. repair shop with Military Certs)

I agree 100%. On the other hand I is one of those IMG_0063.JPG well maybe not 2010 Fatboy 87.000 miles and never seen a shop but once for primary seals (Under warranty) This one ain't been in a shop yet other than a bike tire and they screwed that up. IMG_0014.JPG Ain't a Doctor or Lawyer as such just a **** good welder. (Aircraft Military F.A.A. repair shop with Military Certs)

That Fatty looks clean as a whistle. I wouldn't dare post my 2005:rolleyes:

I'm glad I read your post. I was a bit concerned about the driveshaft spline thing and wasn't exactly sure what those that mentioned it were talking about but I changed my rear tire a month ago and I cleaned and lubed the splines that are revealed when you pull off the bevel box off with the rear tire. So I guess I've done what was suggested. I was concerned that maybe they were talking about removing the entire rear drive unit.

Yes you need to also remove the drive unit & grease the shaft/coupler splines

From Triumph on 5/25/2017:

"Thanks for contacting Triumph Motorcycles. UK asked me to respond to your request.

The correct mileage for valve inspection is every 20,000 miles on your bike beginning at 20,000 miles. I know the owners manual states 10,000 then 30,000 and every 20,000 at the point, that is in fact incorrect. UK has recognized the error and is working on revising Owners Handbooks to reflect the changes.

Revised Service Interval sheets went out to our dealers last year via a notice.

Hope that brings some clarification and should you have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Darren Fairey
Customer Service Technician
Triumph Motorcycles America Ltd.
ref:_00D507g5C._50050vBnG8:ref"

If it was changed, I guess it was by word-of-mouth. I purchased the Triumph service manual, and also have the owners manual, and both indicate the valves to be checked at 10K and every 20K AFTER the first 10K check. Any documentation on the change? I never found any.
Call Hinckley UK where they make them and they will tell you It was changed back in 2012/13 to 20k-40K-60k. I called to reaffirm something I already knew last week as the Triumph dealer out here was trying to tell me it's 10K-30-50 and says so in the book. Told him the books wrong and hasn't been updated. I wasn't gloating much when I put him right yesterday...

Back