I know that the IBA guys have started accepting "electronic" receipts (pictures as you described) for competitive events, but I was under the impression that they still required you to submit a copy of the actual receipt for a Saddlesore cert. In any case, enjoy your ride. I've done several and it the most miserable fun you will ever have :D

You are correct from what I have gathered on their website. There is a form to fill out but I'm retired military so I have gotten pretty good at following and filling at a checklist!:confused:o_O But I was reading also that they like the picture submissions along with the form too. It seems a straight line journey is easier to verify too rather than doing a loop. All of this seemed straight forward except the signature part but I will get something figured out. Thanks for all the input.

I know that the IBA guys have started accepting "electronic" receipts (pictures as you described) for competitive events, but I was under the impression that they still required you to submit a copy of the actual receipt for a Saddlesore cert. In any case, enjoy your ride. I've done several and it was the most miserable fun you will ever have :D

And here I always thought oral with teeth was the most miserable fun you will ever have!?!?!
Thumbs Up.jpg

save all fuel reciepts,
ask the clerk at your last stop sign the witness form.
even if you dont get fuel BUY something.
each reciept is time stamped, also have store location ie: chevron number 4321 (something like that)
the IBA will verify the store/station at random,they will verify the time and location between stops.
doing an extra few miles is a must 50 to 100 is plenty. ...
i have done 4 iba runs now the best tips i can offer is: hydrate hydrate hydrate..plan on each stop sucking up no less than 20 mins off the total time....
ita not a race posted limits will give you plenty of time to do this....stay focused exersize your mind (simple math is what i do) ...music is helpfull.....
wind noise can become mind numbing earplugs or earbuds will be a savior
hard candies you can get to easy are very helpfull as well
CAFFEEN -sp is not your friend shy away from those products...
food keep it light
clothes keep them comfy
seat: i like to have my sheepskin handy....
when get to a point you loose consentation stop! rest a bit!....
if you are with anouther bike watch them watch thier bike have them do the same for you....
its a test of attrition NOT A RACE.
the first ride you take after the Iron Butt you will fell different about other bikers as well as your own bike and its a good feeling knowing you just did something not many can or will do...ENJOY have FUN

save all fuel reciepts,
ask the clerk at your last stop sign the witness form.
even if you dont get fuel BUY something.
each reciept is time stamped, also have store location ie: chevron number 4321 (something like that)
the IBA will verify the store/station at random,they will verify the time and location between stops.
doing an extra few miles is a must 50 to 100 is plenty. ...
i have done 4 iba runs now the best tips i can offer is: hydrate hydrate hydrate..plan on each stop sucking up no less than 20 mins off the total time....
ita not a race posted limits will give you plenty of time to do this....stay focused exersize your mind (simple math is what i do) ...music is helpfull.....
wind noise can become mind numbing earplugs or earbuds will be a savior
hard candies you can get to easy are very helpfull as well
CAFFEEN -sp is not your friend shy away from those products...
food keep it light
clothes keep them comfy
seat: i like to have my sheepskin handy....
when get to a point you loose consentation stop! rest a bit!....
if you are with anouther bike watch them watch thier bike have them do the same for you....
its a test of attrition NOT A RACE.
the first ride you take after the Iron Butt you will fell different about other bikers as well as your own bike and its a good feeling knowing you just did something not many can or will do...ENJOY have FUN

Thank you for posting this, there is some really good advise on here. I won't be with another bike so I will give extra care to keeping my focus and the hard candy is a great piece of advise! I do that already and it works quite well. I am also thinking of getting a blue tooth unit thing for my helmet so that I can listen to music through my phone. That is something I have never done before but can definitely see the value of that for this kind of a ride. Audio book might be good too.

Did you have to get the home address of the clerk that you asked to sign the form as a witness? Or did you just use the address to the station he was at?

Thank you for posting this, there is some really good advise on here. I won't be with another bike so I will give extra care to keeping my focus and the hard candy is a great piece of advise! I do that already and it works quite well. I am also thinking of getting a blue tooth unit thing for my helmet so that I can listen to music through my phone. That is something I have never done before but can definitely see the value of that for this kind of a ride. Audio book might be good too.

Did you have to get the home address of the clerk that you asked to sign the form as a witness? Or did you just use the address to the station he was at?
the station/store is fine, make sure they have a working phone number for verification just in case yhe iba decides to call them. they did call and verify one of my stops and my end witness.

Most people blow their ride due to the time they spend off the bike...fuel stops, meals, etc. Make a ride plan and stick to it as best you can. Plan fuel stops, meal stops, rest stops, etc. Most riders new to long distance tend to run hard and fast out of the gate and then lose focus later in the game. These rides are about endurance not speed. Keep a steady pace and cruise at whatever speed (within reason) your bike gets the best fuel mileage...the longer you can stretch a tank means that eventually you will avoid a fuel stop. Stay hydrated and eat small regular meals or snacks that are high in protein. Avoid too much sugar or caffeine as the tend to amp you up and then make you crash later when you are in the saddle. I usually pack trail mix in small plastic milk bottles (5 Grandkids consume a lot of chocolate milk) in my tank bag. They work great for snacks on the go and the milk bottle is easy to open and use one handed while on the road. You WILL get tired so plan a rest stop somewhere even if it's only for 30 minutes laying in the grass at a rest stop. If you need a boost while riding look into Zip Fizz...it's basically a powdered drink mix that is 41,000% of the daily recommended dose of B12. Tastes like Koolaid when mixed with water and doesn't cause me to crash like most energy drinks.

All these inputs provided is allowing me to best prepare for this so that I can still enjoy it too and not just suffer through! For that I am very grateful! Thank you! Yesterday I picked up the cramp buster from a Triumph dealer in Des Moines while I was up there for business. They had two styles, one with a long/ thin resting point and the other with a wider/shorter resting point. They were only $10 each and honestly, I saw value in both styles so I just went ahead and picked them both up! They seem like they will work pretty good and I am anxious to give it a try. My roadster had a really good throttle lock on it when I bought the bike but honestly, the darn thing frustrated more than anything. I found myself always having to adjust it as it is exactly what it says...just locks the throttle in. So I think I will be happier with this choice.

I am also considering getting one of those blue tooth thing-a-mig-jug (I'm very technical) put on my helmet so that I can listen to music through my phone. I have never done this before for the 45+ years I have been riding. I have always been a purist when riding. This won't be my first 18+ hour ride I have ever done but will be the first that I have actually tried to do something through IBA. I can see the value of listening to my tunes on this ride but still on the edge on this one...the purist side of me still says just ride the bike and enjoy what that has to offer.

I am going to get a sheepskin though! I have been reading some really good things about them that other riders swear by. So I figure a small add-on like that can't hurt and can always get pulled off simple enough if it doesn't work. Does anyone know of a good vendor that sell these? I look on Fast Eddy site but I didn't see any. I like to support Eddy as much as I can because for years he sent me things when I was stationed overseas when other vendors wouldn't and never even charged extra for it. So there is my plug for the day...buy off of Fast Eddy's site if you are online shopping...he's good people!!

Back