Run premium fuel?

$20,000 dollars for a 2.5L Triumph Rocket, Premium fuel or not, its a nice choice to have.
I prefer to protect my investment.
And yes octane rating effects performance. If you have ever run Av-gas or added 100+ octane booster.
You will know the difference.
Plus the benefits of keeping the fuel system clean. Chevron with Techron is what I burn.

Nope:
1630456974650.png
Actually, 95 RON (in Aus) is premium grade. We have 91RON (Std) 95RON (Premium) and 98RON (Sometime called Ultra-Premium). There is also E10 (94 RON) which is 10% ethanol and 90% 91RON standard unleaded, and lately we've had a few suppliers selling E85 or "flex fuel" (rated at 107RON) that is 85% ethanol and 15% 91RON unleaded. So when we read the manual we would read that as premium, not standard fuel. Few vehicles demand 98RON, but there are some. FYI, I put 98 in my bikes and in my turbo car as well (which only needs 95) mainly because of the extra cleaning performance. While I wouldn't advocate Mrs Jones from next door waste her money on 98RON (it's > 15-25c a litre more here) in her '97 Camry, if you have a performance engine with either higher compression or forced induction then the better fuel can't hurt...

Don't get me started on the concept of a RON number greater than 100 when it's based on a percentage of the control compound, but apparently 2,2,4-trimethylpentane (iso-octane) is not the best baseline measure... :)

check your manual i think the new rockets require premium

I haven't seen the manual but based on the increase in compression from 8.7.1 for the 2300 cc motor to 10.8.1 for the 2500cc, I would be comfortable saying it requires premium. That's a bummer. I love being able to run 87 regular in my 2016 roadster.

I haven't seen the manual but based on the increase in compression from 8.7.1 for the 2300 cc motor to 10.8.1 for the 2500cc, I would be comfortable saying it requires premium. That's a bummer. I love being able to run 87 regular in my 2016 roadster.
My 2015 Suzuki Vstrom 650 was 11.2:1 compression and the manual called for 87 octane so that's what I used and it ran perfectly. I also run 87 in my tuned Rocket because it just doesn't need any more octane. I know when I run high octane in my Victory I get a lot of soot because there's nothing premium about it, it's slow burn gas and an engine designed for 87 won't get a complete burn so the side effect is carbon.

My 2015 Suzuki Vstrom 650 was 11.2:1 compression and the manual called for 87 octane so that's what I used and it ran perfectly. I also run 87 in my tuned Rocket because it just doesn't need any more octane. I know when I run high octane in my Victory I get a lot of soot because there's nothing premium about it, it's slow burn gas and an engine designed for 87 won't get a complete burn so the side effect is carbon.

Interesting. Usually when you get up in the the 10+ compression ratios you need the higher octane to avoid preignition and run on.

My Owner's Manual doesn't have the second paragraph but the specification pages say minimum octane of 95 RON which is 91 minimum in US. I also only use Shell premium (if possible) as it has the most cleaning detergents of all top tire fuels. Plus if you join the fuel rewards program, you save 5-10 cents per gallon.
My dealer mentioned it is not so much the higher octane level of premium, but the guarantee with premium is that there is no bio-(m)ethanol added that is getting more and more the practice to get 'cleaner' fuels. These bio-fuels can leave residues, so it might not be noticeable or it might after some time...

The two paragraphs in the manual are contradictory. 95 RON grade is 91 AKI or (R+M)/2. I use top tier 91-93 and have no problems. Am I wasting money? You tell me I spent $29K for a toy.:roll:
Thanks for pointing that out. I don't have much familiarity with the RON grading.

I've always used premium (91 R+M/2 in Arizona) and been happy with the performance over the past 7k miles. Just idly flipping through the manual though and I noticed it only calls for 87 knock index fuel. When I purchased, my service manager was adamant to use premium fuel. Does anybody run regular grade fuel? Any issues with it?
87 octane….no issues and still fast as hell.

Back