Darron1117

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hello all,
I posted about a week ago that I changed out my grips on my 2012 Roadster with 12k miles. Non-heated grips and
ran perfectly beforehand. Did not touch anything but the grip housing and nothing down below. It runs like this
until it warms up and is almost normal then. I was thinking maybe it needed some injector cleaner and have run
a tank treated with Redline fuel system cleaner through it. It also puts out a heavy exhaust smell until it begins to
warm up.
Any ideas, fellows?

First off, can I suggest you post that video in the original thread. Helps with the flow of diagnostic ideas and prevents repetition between the 2 threads... (a few of us forget what happened yesterday let alone over a week ago... :) )

You can hear the engine miss firing clearly. I would check the primary wire spade connectors on your 3 coils to ensure they are tight before going any further. You will have to lift the tank to gain access to the front coil primary wires... they can be a pain to remove and crimp tight.

First off, can I suggest you post that video in the original thread. Helps with the flow of diagnostic ideas and prevents repetition between the 2 threads... (a few of us forget what happened yesterday let alone over a week ago... :) )

You can hear the engine miss firing clearly. I would check the primary wire spade connectors on your 3 coils to ensure they are tight before going any further. You will have to lift the tank to gain access to the front coil primary wires... they can be a pain to remove and crimp tight.
Hello Gregger. Finally going to get around to checking wire spade connectors on the coils. Does the tank just lift after removing the bolt?
Does anything on the bars need to be loosened for it to clear? Got to find the problem so I can ride again. Hope to be able to fix myself
rather than coughing up hundreds. Thanks in advance.

I just remove the tank retaining bolt which allows the tank to pivot up on a rear hinge. There is a prop rod under the tank on the right hand side used to hold the tank upright. If this doesn't give you enough access, remove the rear tank hinge bolt and lift the tank off with the hoses still attached. With a heavy towel placed over the battery compartment, turn the tank sideways and sit it on said towel. You will have full access to coils 2 and 3 but may have a fight getting to 1. I have a set of very long needle nose that helps. Pulling the plastic side covers behind the steering neck sometimes also helps. If the 2 primary wires running to each coil are loose, (and they usually are) pull them off and recrimp them.

If you have installed a RamAir filter system, access to #1 coil is simpler... in fact it makes any maintenance needed under the tank so much easier.

I just remove the tank retaining bolt which allows the tank to pivot up on a rear hinge. There is a prop rod under the tank on the right hand side used to hold the tank upright. If this doesn't give you enough access, remove the rear tank hinge bolt and lift the tank off with the hoses still attached. With a heavy towel placed over the battery compartment, turn the tank sideways and sit it on said towel. You will have full access to coils 2 and 3 but may have a fight getting to 1. I have a set of very long needle nose that helps. Pulling the plastic side covers behind the steering neck sometimes also helps. If the 2 primary wires running to each coil are loose, (and they usually are) pull them off and recrimp them.

If you have installed a RamAir filter system, access to #1 coil is simpler... in fact it makes any maintenance needed under the tank so much easier.
Thanks a million!!!

Hello Gregger,
Pulled the tank and are theses the connectors I need to check? Other than dirty, they look to be tight still including forward one.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230108_173010.jpg
    20230108_173010.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230108_173103.jpg
    20230108_173103.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
Hello all,
I posted about a week ago that I changed out my grips on my 2012 Roadster with 12k miles. Non-heated grips and
ran perfectly beforehand. Did not touch anything but the grip housing and nothing down below. It runs like this
until it warms up and is almost normal then. I was thinking maybe it needed some injector cleaner and have run
a tank treated with Redline fuel system cleaner through it. It also puts out a heavy exhaust smell until it begins to
warm up.
Any ideas, fellows?
Hey all. I checked my coils and non appear to be loose. Sparks plugs are new. Should I now change the fuel filter? 13.5 k miles and 11 years old.
Still running the same as in the video clip.
Thanks,

Back