Dunnspeed

.060 Over
Well I've had a rough week. I chaperoned(as I do every year) 125 7th grade kids to Chicago for 4 days from Tuesday morning to Friday night. It's an endurance contest to say the least. Got home and then Saturday morning, my wife went on a camping trip with the girls leaving me with my 3 yr old son and 7 month old daughter. Not too bad since I was away and missed them but still, I could use some me time. She got home today and I finally get to go for a ride. First stop, gas. Pull up and fill my tank and it seems the person before me paid for my gas so that's cool. Great start. Just as I pull out it starts raining. First time really in the rain on the Rocket. Well, I decide this sucks and I just head back home. About 2:00 this afternoon, I'm coming around a sharp corner, cars lock up their brakes and so do I. It was like I was on ice and continued off the road, down a ditch, between some trees, and I come to rest on the right side of the bike. Front fender is a bit tweaked, headlight toast, front signals toast, and crash bars toast. I think that's it but I haven't done a full check yet. I came out with some sore muscles and a few scrapes. I'm having trouble walking and have a pretty good limp now that it's a few hours in but me AND the bike come out pretty good considering. I really think the Rocket is one tough bike to stop when you need to stop quickly.

I'm glad to hear you are ok! A few aches and pains is a small price to pay when you compare it to what couldve been...

Now do I dare mention the Karma ramifications of accepting free gas? :p

I personally think the Rocket brakes are second to none, you do have to be a wee bit easy with the rear brake but with teaching the ARC class every week I get lots of extra practise with the brakes.
As you said it was raining all the oil was probably floating on the surface maybe grapped the brakes a wee bit to hard then all hell breaks loose:eek: wheels locking up bike leaving the road:eek: glad it turned out not to bad and hopefully you are back on the road soon.:)

Glad you OK dunnspeed. Nothin good about crashing - slippery roads are very bad especialy if it hasnt rained in a while. ABS May have helped here but who knows.
I hope your insurance is good to you.

Glad to hear you're OK, As Rocket in my pocket said. Maybe adjust the brake so they don't lock up. I find the rocket skids more than I care for it to.

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear that you are not damaged too much. The tough ol' bird Rocket can be fixed but not as easy for the human.

That first 1/4 hour after a rain starts is the pucker time. Oils and grease and grime get lifted off the roadway and makes it slicker 'n snot. My first tumble many years ago was in the same situation.

The Rocket brakes are quite strong and perform well with the right tire combination. Unfortunately, the Metzlers aren't part of that equation. They are pitiful in the rain, imho.

Glad your ok...

To me the Rocket should be the "official" motorcycle of Texas; big engine, big brakes, big torque and no wussy "power" modes that you find on bikes like the Hayabusa and that new Beemer sportbike. You've either got the 'nads to ride it or you don't.

Thankfully my Bonneville seems to have really grabby rear brakes so I really learned to get a feel for the rear wheel during hard braking and apparently my R3T's rear brake is more forgiving; or I'm far more cautious because of her girth.

Really glad you fared as well as you did.

good to hear damage to oneself and rocket were minimized. Instinct braking is the toughest kind given that it is a split second reaction. Hope all is healing well now that you are a couple days removed and will be back in the saddle soon.

Well I'm back at work today and the swelling has come down in my foot enough that I can limp around here.
So the damage is a little further now. I need the pannier frame on the right side and a right side dresser bar. All the rest I've sorted out. Hopefully, I don't find anything else wrong. It's going to be a bugger to find these parts other than new.:mad:
Hopefully I can get this sorted out as I'm planning to go to the Arkansas rally with some fellas over at the bonnevilleamerica.com site. We'll see.

Back